News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary International Airport

If anything, replacement of AC flights with international carriers might be a boon for tourism, as European travellers may have a preference for familiar airlines.
I would think the 14 weekly flights from FRA will be marketed more to European’s than they would be to Albertans. Definitely a plus for our tourism market

The AC news would have been bad news if they were dropping a flight because it had no traffic, but it always had traffic and it was just a matter of time before it was replaced. As for the YOW flights, WS increased that as well, and it may end up in a few extra passengers on flights to places like Tokyo, or some western US destinations. Ottawa passengers would have to transfer at Either YYZ, YUL or YVR for those options anyways, so why not look at YYC as an option.

The AC news would have been bad news if they were dropping a flight because it had no traffic, but it always had traffic and it was just a matter of time before it was replaced. As for the YOW flights, WS increased that as well, and it may end up in a few extra passengers on flights to places like Tokyo, or some western US destinations. Ottawa passengers would have to transfer at Either YYZ, YUL or YVR for those options anyways, so why not look at YYC as an option.
The main impact of the AC pullback is not going to be number of seats available, it’s going to be the price of those seats, particularly for business travel where Lynx and Flair aren’t realistic choices.

Good riddance to Mapleflot. Hopefully a change of government will open commercial air travel to competition (remove foreign ownership limits and requirements to provide French language service), and repeal the Air Canada Act.

Good riddance to Mapleflot. Hopefully a change of government will open commercial air travel to competition (remove foreign ownership limits and requirements to provide French language service), and repeal the Air Canada Act.
You think a Conservative Government would do any of those things?

The new domestic competition has changed my habits, I've flown Lynx twice this year over AC or WJ and have been pretty satisfied.

You think a Conservative Government would do any of those things?

The new domestic competition has changed my habits, I've flown Lynx twice this year over AC or WJ and have been pretty satisfied.
I suspect it would dereg wireless telecom before commercial air travel. A Conservative government unencumbered by Quebec support could do truly great things, including opening commercial air travel, media, dairy and poultry to competition.

I've taken advantage of the new direct flights to Europe a couple of times, and hopefully will be on a flight to Tokyo in the spring or early summer. Aside from Calgarians taking advantage of having direct flights, these flights only strengthen YYC's position on being the central hub of the prairies. The airport that will probably suffer the most from this is YEG, due to Edmonton's proximity to Calgary. Anecdotally I've known a few Edmontonians who have driven down and done the direct flight, including my cousin and his wife, who drove down, stayed with us for a couple of days and went directly to Rome. I can see the old "break the Calgary habit" campaign being resurrected soon.

I've taken advantage of the new direct flights to Europe a couple of times, and hopefully will be on a flight to Tokyo in the spring or early summer. Aside from Calgarians taking advantage of having direct flights, these flights only strengthen YYC's position on being the central hub of the prairies. The airport that will probably suffer the most from this is YEG, due to Edmonton's proximity to Calgary. Anecdotally I've known a few Edmontonians who have driven down and done the direct flight, including my cousin and his wife, who drove down, stayed with us for a couple of days and went directly to Rome. I can see the old "break the Calgary habit" campaign being resurrected soon.
I've thought this for a while, even before the Westjet overseas flights. Hubs work well for carriers, and AC and WS are the only two that can run a hub with substantial overseas/transborder flights, and the two carriers appear to have chosen their hubs. The airports at cities like Ottawa and Edmonton will still have a fair bit of traffic, but I don't see a lot of growth at those airports. I see airlines preferring to funnel them through one of their hubs. Edmonton being so close to Calgary is a blessing for them in some ways, as it's a short flight or even a drive to Calgary which has a pretty solid offering of international/transborder, but also a burden for them this ultimately means Edmonton's traffic through Calgary will increase over the coming years.

Edmonton being so close to Calgary is a blessing for them in some ways, as it's a short flight or even a drive to Calgary which has a pretty solid offering of international/transborder, but also a burden for them as this ultimately means Edmonton's traffic through Calgary will increase over the coming years.
That trend’s been happening for years, but we’ll see an acceleration of that trend in the coming years. Edmonton likely won’t see much growth in coming years as YYC takes over the region.

The main impact of the AC pullback is not going to be number of seats available, it’s going to be the price of those seats, particularly for business travel where Lynx and Flair aren’t realistic choices.
I wonder if it’s going to be the case? With plenty of connections to other European hubs people have other options besides FRA, unless of course they’re going directly to that area.

Back