News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Calgary International Airport

I wonder if it’s going to be the case? With plenty of connections to other European hubs people have other options besides FRA, unless of course they’re going directly to that area.

I am talking about routes like YYC to Ottawa and Los Angeles (in this round) and YYC to Fort St John, Yellowknife, Saskatoon, and Regina (in the earlier round of cuts) that had 2 mainline carriers before and now May get the same amount of service but from only one carrier.

I am talking about routes like YYC to Ottawa and Los Angeles (in this round) and YYC to Fort St John, Yellowknife, Saskatoon, and Regina (in the earlier round of cuts) that had 2 mainline carriers before and now May get the same amount of service but from only one carrier.
I could see some of those less busy routes getting kinda pricey if there’s no competition. Could be an opportunity for Lynx or Porter.
If prices get too high for LAX we could see an American carrier jump in. Hopefully that’s the case.

Enjoy these pics of C-GKKN pulling into NRT from YYC

IMG_2389.jpg
IMG_2433.jpg
IMG_2443.jpg
IMG_2456.jpg
IMG_2457.jpg
IMG_2487.jpg

I took the NRT-YYC flight in May and the plane was pretty much 100% full from what I could see. Interesting part was when we landed in Calgary I think there were maybe only about 100 of us that were waiting for our bags in Calgary, everyone else appeared to be connecting onwards.

I checked yyc’s website today and still no passenger stats for August. I know three different groups of people who went to Europe this past month, and two different couples going to Italy this month.

So many people have been going to Europe and Tokyo on these direct flights since they came out. Some of it is people anxious to travel now that Covid is done. My question is, will these flights still be busy in a year or two?

I haven't seen numbers for just August, but they did post on their social media channels that between July and August they had over 3.8 million passengers, broke their single-day passenger record, and expect to exceed 18 million passengers for the whole year now.

Last edited:
I haven't seen numbers for just August, but they did post on their social media channels that between July and August they had over 3.8 million passengers, broke their single-day passenger record, and expect to exceed 18 million passengers for the whole year now.
August must have been around 1.9M then. I guess they didn’t break 2 million but 1.9 million is still very good. 👍

So many people have been going to Europe and Tokyo on these direct flights since they came out. Some of it is people anxious to travel now that Covid is done. My question is, will these flights still be busy in a year or two?
I think the flights will stay busy going forward. Traffic from Calgarians going to those destinations will probably slow down somewhat, but the long term play is the Westjet traffic that connects through YYC.
With AC seemingly leaving the west (except for Van) there will be lots of traffic coming through via WS. We could also see increased traffic vis US locations as well.

Back