4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary International Airport

1666369209757.png

From https://www.yyc.com/en-us/media/factsfigures/passengerstatistics.aspx
and https://web.archive.org/web/2020040...s/media/factsfigures/passengerstatistics.aspx

I’d say next year. We were getting really close to that level in September according to the graph.

I really don’t like that the city hasn’t started running 4-car trains again. Like at least during rush hour even.

Edit: Woops this is the airport thread! 🤣 well the first part of my reply still stands.

It's weird to me as someone who's been at the airport basically every two weeks for the past 10 years as it seems much busier now than it did in even 2019. I wonder if that is a product of them opening the International terminal to domestic flights?
I wonder, with little evidence, if fewer flights but with larger capacity aircraft make the airport seem busier. Longer turn times. More people waiting at particular gates. Add in more floor space dedicated to vendors versus seating perhaps? And people standing to cue up to be the first zone 4 or 5 passenger?

I wonder, with little evidence, if fewer flights but with larger capacity aircraft make the airport seem busier. Longer turn times. More people waiting at particular gates. Add in more floor space dedicated to vendors versus seating perhaps? And people standing to cue up to be the first zone 4 or 5 passenger?
I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor. When I was last at the international terminal, it felt really busy, and at that time there were 5 flights happening within a 2 hour period that would have caused a lot of passenger action. Frankfurt, Rome, London, a second one to Frankfurt, and then Paris. 2x777, 2x787-9, and an A350. There were a couple of smaller flights to the US, but the 5 larger flights to Europe would involve handling of ~1,400 -1,600 passengers.

We're definitely world class now!

In all seriousness, this is good. Could open up new tourism markets from the middle east. Currently people from that area would need two stops, but this would cut it down to one stop.

Last edited:
Flightglobal: WestJet lands slots to launch Calgary-Dubai flights in March 2023.
Wait until Air Canada lobbies the feds to stop WestJet from siphoning passengers that likely would have connected in Toronto on AC flights

Wait until Air Canada lobbies the feds to stop WestJet from siphoning passengers that likely would have connected in Toronto on AC flights
Westjet’s new strategy seems carefully calibrated to encourage AC to retrench from the West and raise prices on the short and long-haul flights in Central/Eastern Canada where they are now a monopoly. Basically divide the country in half and exist as very profitable side-by-side oligopolies.

Of course, AC doesn’t have to take the bait - they could try to expand short haul service in the West and fight WestJet on long haul either with new flights (more long haul from Calgary/Vancouver/Edmonton), network changes to make West-to-international connections easier, or regulatory (as you suggest).

As far as I can tell AC is not going to totally abandon the West, mostly because they need a strong hub in Vancouver to maintain Asian long haul. But I’m not sure they are going to fight for much else, the oligopoly model is probably better for them too.

Another article related to the Dubai slots. Looks like just the slots have been secured, but no actual plans to launch flights. I missed that earlier, but looking only at the headline and not filly reading the article. also appears to be just during the summer season....not sure if that matters or not, but IMO, the best time to go to Dubai is in the spring, fall or winter.

also appears to be just during the summer season....not sure if that matters or not, but IMO, the best time to go to Dubai is in the spring, fall or winter.
Yeah, I can't imagine there would be too many Albertans wanting to go to Dubai during their brutally hot & humid summers. However, summer would be the best season to attract Middle Easterners to Banff/Lake Louise. West Jet and Alberta Tourism should conduct some kind of test marketing campaign in Dubai to determine what interest there might be.

Yeah, I can't imagine there would be too many Albertans wanting to go to Dubai during their brutally hot & humid summers. However, summer would be the best season to attract Middle Easterners to Banff/Lake Louise. West Jet and Alberta Tourism should conduct some kind of test marketing campaign in Dubai to determine what interest there might be.
That's a good point. I always forget that these international flights are as much or more for tourists coming here, than they are for locals. My flight to Rome might be an exception as the plane was completed sold out, and probably 100% to Canadians, but the Hainan flights were definitely for Chinese tourists.

Back