News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary International Airport

but no one ever asked to see my results
You have to attest to the results on check-in, and upload them. Before it was automated they called to the gate to verify in person.

That no one asked doesn't mean it wasn't checked. You wouldn't have been issued a boarding pass otherwise. (of course, there could be exceptions due to sheer incompetence).

I had to upload my vaccination status but I was never asked to upload my antigen test results. I did attest to it at check in but I thought it was odd it was never actually verified.

I'm actually surprised we'd only hit 12,000,000. I'm at the airport often and every time I'm there it's busy and getting busier.
Numbers are definitely continuing to increase, I commute through YYC a lot and it’s very noticeable. It surely helps that we might be the second biggest domestic airport in the country.

Does anyone know why they are doing domestic flights in the international area? This is 2 flights in a row to Winnipeg I've use a D gate and had to go through the international security line.
I think they are spreading flights around where they have staff assigned. I flew to and from Heathrow London in the last two weeks. Calgary's international terminal is a breeze to get through. I don't think international travel to Calgary is anywhere near where it was pre-pandemic. The UK on the other hand is back to normal and then some. Airport was packed. Hotels and restaurants are packed. No restrictions for incoming travellers (yes that includes proof of vaccination) and masking is only recommended for things like public transit.
The ArriveCan app is a needless step for returning Canadians that are vaccinated. I completed mine and sent it back when I was in England. Received a confirmation code. Other than Air Canada confirming that I had done that at point of departure in London, I was never asked for it when I arrived in Calgary. Because I had carry-on only and nothing to declare, my experience with our customs & immigration was quick and painless.

I was never asked for it when I arrived in Calgary
The submission is reconciled on CBSA's backend. If there is a problem, you'd have been flagged by the computer system and given a different letter code.

That being said, I think Toronto's CBSA is in a malicious compliance work to rule type thing, because the other airports don't seem to have the arrive can related problems reported there, nor are other airport's CBSA officers flagging nearly as high a percentage for 'random' testing.

That being said, I think Toronto's CBSA is in a malicious compliance work to rule type thing, because the other airports don't seem to have the arrive can related problems reported there, nor are other airport's CBSA officers flagging nearly as high a percentage for 'random' testing.
The random testing on arrival makes absolutely no sense from a practicality and cost standpoint. You have to be vaccinated to travel into Canada. On the odd happenstance that someone entering Canada may have COVID, it isn't going to appreciably change the picture. There is plenty of Covid that is being spread domestically without worrying about a few more cases. The main thing is that hospitals are not being filled up.

The "west runway" is getting a $115 million rehabilitation project after securing $57.5 Million in funding from the federal government. The project will take 2-3 years to complete and will provide 200-300 jobs
https://www.yyc.com/News/tabid/91/a...s-announcement-of-almost-575M-in-funding.aspx

There is more news on this project from back in April:

"The Calgary Airport Authority has selected Altitude Infrastructure Group (AIG), an unincorporated partnership between Colas (via Standard General Inc. and Colas Projects Canada Inc.) and SNC-Lavalin to provide subcontracted professional services for the planning and design phase of this multi-year, multi-phase project"

"The west runway was originally constructed in 1939 and designed for aircraft lighter than those used today. Numerous projects have been completed over the past 80 years to maintain the structural capacity and to prolong the runway’s lifespan. However, studies completed in recent years have confirmed the runway will be reaching the end of its useful life and that a full rehabilitation is necessary."

"The scope of the project includes the removal and replacement of the west runway, which involves full-depth structural and electrical rehabilitation. At the same time, the runway environment will also be modernized, including approaches, lighting, and infrastructure."

"Planning and design phases will take place in 2022 with construction expected in 2023 and 2024, creating up to 300 local jobs."

I admit I completely forgot about this project hence the very late post here 😅

Last edited:
With just one of the parallels operational will the airport be restricting the amount of takeoff/landings? Or will they use 11/29 & 17L/35R at the same time?

'funding from the federal government'... Justin making things worse for air travel again! Ha I'm just kidding.

I am surprised this airport relies so heavily on North/South runways I know there's one other one (11/29) but still, guess it goes to show you the airport can manage with only one runway. I know when its windy from the west, northwest I've landed and taken off (11/29).

If YYC does go down to one runway operation it would be restrictive, you'd probably see things like flow control at departure airports for flights heading here. Probably tricky to use 29 for landing if you also have 35R active, but you could do departures off of 29 no problem to take some heat off of 35R when the winds work out.

If YYC has to initiate "flow control" that is holding aircraft bound for Calgary at their departure airport for a set period of time so that it arrives into Calgary at a better time for air traffic control. Reducing congested times and spreading the incoming flights out better if only one runway is operating.

Back