News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary International Airport

With an extra frame kicking around YYC this summer and more next year could we see CDG being increased to 4-7 weekly moving into next year. Would this cannibalize other YYC-Europe flights?
I'd think they want to get a 789 onto YYZ-LGW before more CDG is added. Obviously a daily CDG with 320 seats would cannibalize FRA, AMS, and BA LHR to some degree, it's too many seats to not at least consider it. From my perspective, the first thing to go if WS ramps up transatlantic ops from YYC is going to be BA as that flight has significant onward connections to the Middle East and Asia from LHR.

With an extra frame kicking around YYC this summer and more next year could we see CDG being increased to 4-7 weekly moving into next year. Would this cannibalize other YYC-Europe flights?

It would cannibalize to some degree but it also opens up opportunity that wasn't there before. The perfect example is my family. We have relatives in France who come to visit every other year and the last few of visits they went through YYZ and YUL, and I think even MSP once to get to Calgary. Next visit they'll no doubt come non-stop to Calgary. When we've gone to visit them, we've gone through AMS or LHR, so there would be some cannibalization there but also some gain in other cases.

Yeah, that's O&D traffic... they'll pick some of that up which is good. CDG isn't a great hub to connect through, AMS is much better. Given their push to work more with KLM it's not in their best interest to cannibalize that service. That's kind of the dilemma. I think you have to find a way to run more than one transatlantic flight year-round. But boy, the 789 is a whole lot of airplane for low season.

This would be more for the marketing people at Westjet, but maybe they should look at promoting skiing holidays and packages. Even though France has the Alps, I'm running across more and more Europeans who are coming here because it's actually cheaper. Skiing/accommodations and food are so much more expensive over there, that coming over here and their resorts are extremely crowded.

I would still prefer the 787 even in a denser configuration.
I'd prefer a 767, as I personally hate middle seats. The 767 does the best job of mitigating that. Whatever.

Atlanta continues to perform very well for WestJet. On a given day, Paris has more pax than Gatwick at the moment, but Gatwick is daily. Paris currently 3x weekly.

Yep. I would take the 767 over the A330 or Dreamliner for seat configuration. Glad to hear Atlanta's doing well. I might be taking some trips to Atlanta in the coming future.
I'd prefer a 767, as I personally hate middle seats. The 767 does the best job of mitigating that. Whatever.
Atlanta continues to perform very well for WestJet. On a given day, Paris has more pax than Gatwick at the moment, but Gatwick is daily. Paris currently 3x weekly.

Yeah it starts today, as does the seasonal Condor run to Frankfurt; Edelweiss to Zurich and Transat to Amsterdam started yesterday and inaugural WestJet Dublin flies tomorrow.

Back