Votes: 16 55.2%
  • So So

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I suspect sales have been slower lately, but they got off to a good start. Despite the downturn Calgary's population is still growing, and thus there will be at least some demand for new residential buildings. I would bet that this will get going, but maybe not for another 6 months or so.

Just a follow up on growth. The civic census results are in. Calgary did grow last year, but at a much slower rate than we've been accustomed to over the last few years. I wonder if we're going to see a reversal coming next year.

Just a follow up on growth. The civic census results are in. Calgary did grow last year, but at a much slower rate than we've been accustomed to over the last few years. I wonder if we're going to see a reversal coming next year.

Hard to say. The civic census is over a different period than the Statscan estimates which show a better growth rate. I would guess that with the job losses slowing down and employment settling...actually starting to slowly turn around the growth will be a bit better next year, but probably not by much. With Park Point, Concord, 6th and 10th, Verve, Telus Sky (residential portion) and the Royal still u/c I imagine there will be a fair number of units on the market.
If any high rise projects do go ahead, INK is probably the most likely as they have a niche market with those really small units.

Unless the economy picks up I would expect more of the same. In the last while there haven't been as many layoffs, so growth will probably pick up, but certainly nowhere near what it's been over the last few years. I'm no expert, but I would say INK probably has the best chance of breaking ground of any new project simply because of it's location and that it's kind of a niche market place.

I don't have the link handy, but I saw some stats on Twitter that showed Calgary's job market settling down in the last quarter or something like that. IIRC there was a gain in jobs overall. I agree, there won't a growth of 40K next year, but we might see 15-20K

I don't have the link handy, but I saw some stats on Twitter that showed Calgary's job market settling down in the last quarter or something like that. IIRC there was a gain in jobs overall. I agree, there won't a growth of 40K next year, but we might see 15-20K

Given that net growth for the municipality (as opposed to the greater area) was ~4,200 last year, I'd be very happy with 15-20. I hope you're right.

Jobs of course are a big part of population growth, but there are other factors. If the job market can stay steady and we should get around 10 to 20,000 people because the birth rate is around 12,000 net gain and international immigration has been pretty high with net gains even when the economy is down. The slow population growth Lasher was all attributed to interprovincial migration .

Hey guys, I started up a new thread for economic discussions here. It might be better if those of us who'd like to discuss the economy did so there. So, that people interested in Ink can get information here. :)

I made graphs! Who doesn't like graphs! :D

How are sales for this one? Start date??
I had read somewhere (Facebook I think) that they were around 50%....that was quite some time ago. If there is one project that might start up in the midst of this downturn, it would probably be this one.

I'm not surprised. It had the best chance of going forward in this downturn. It seems like the ones that are doing well are either high end units, or the cheaper, smaller units. Anywhooo, yes, great news for EV.

Apparently a building permit has been issued for INK. Excellent news for East Village!

Is there a place on the City website that tracks building permit status? It's worth doing a story on this project but it'd be nice to have confirmation that this is moving ahead.

I don't see a BP listed on the city site, but they aren't always updated right away. I'll do some quick checking.

Back