Hat @ 14th Street | 94.48m | 28s | Cidex Group | NORR

02F8853F-5792-4080-8D7D-BB3651D819AF.jpeg

I get that people aren’t happy about the amount of spandrel glass on the Hat in EV, but I don’t get the hate for Spandrel general. There are only A few materials that you can use for a high-rise like this, brick, aluminum or Kompass it paneling, or spandrel glass, or stucco I suppose.
Brick is nice but, not as nice when it’s on a high-rise like this, spandrel is probably the best choice for something like this.

I get that people aren’t happy about the amount of spandrel glass on the Hat in EV, but I don’t get the hate for Spandrel general. There are only A few materials that you can use for a high-rise like this, brick, aluminum or Kompass it paneling, or spandrel glass, or stucco I suppose.
Brick is nice but, not as nice when it’s on a high-rise like this, spandrel is probably the best choice for something like this.
Hat EV would have been alright without the vertical white stripes of spandrel. The design could have used charcoal colored hortizontal elements to break up the stripes at zero incremental cost.

Spandrel is fine for the most part, and with the exception of EV I don't know that Cidex has even used more spandrel than builds by other developers.

My issue with the spandrel is it's done in a way that makes it look like nobody considered the floor plans when designing the tower, and they stick a spandrel panel there to make it work. It looks like a mistake or just lazy design by the architect.

Yeah, it's really not about the spandrel. Almost every developer uses spandrel glass to some extent. Cidex *misuses* it and severely over-uses it, that's the issue all of us have.

Even though this one is going at a snails pace, im so excited for this one. This section of 14th is going from head shaker to the (imo) the most exciting in the city. The potential is unlimited in mind for this section of the city. A TOD actually near downtown

Back