Harrison | 20.42m | 5s | Sarina Homes

03CE0EEF-B126-4DA2-98C7-F2A06F3F315C.jpeg
E4D19F71-D9FE-459B-BEBD-87C224405D02.jpeg
2FE66CA0-32F0-4C23-AFCC-356611D3FDB1.jpeg

I realize it's not the most exciting design out there, but I wish a few hundred of these were built around the city.
These are great for improving density. It’s probably blaspheme to stay this on a skyscraper forum but I would rather see more of these than high-rise towers. That’s said as a fan of tall towers I still like a few high-rises here and there 😁

These are great for improving density. It’s probably blaspheme to stay this on a skyscraper forum but I would rather see more of these than high-rise towers. That’s said as a fan of tall towers I still like a few high-rises here and there 😁
I think that's actually a pretty popular sentiment here.

I like adding high-rise residential towers to help fill the skyline, but my preference is the low-mid rise builds. If I could take the Guardian towers with their 600 units and change them into a dozen low-mid rise buildings around Victoria Park, I would do it without a second thought.

Too bad about the retaining wall along 33rd. I understand the grade is changing, but I would have liked to have seen a staircase of some sort, making those store fronts a bit more accessible. I suppose there wasn't enough depth for the amount of risers needed by the end though.

Too bad about the retaining wall along 33rd. I understand the grade is changing, but I would have liked to have seen a staircase of some sort, making those store fronts a bit more accessible. I suppose there wasn't enough depth for the amount of risers needed by the end though.
They had proposed stairs in earlier renderings, and at one point, it looked like there was a gap in the retaining wall for one set of stairs mid-building, but it was filled in late in the project. The railings were also proposed to be a planter wall but that obviously got scrapped as well. The one knock against stairs I would have is that they create a bit of a tripping hazard.

One thing I'll add about stairs is accessibility? Maybe that was a consideration? It would be limited to go into multiple shops if you might have to go around the stairs to go to each shop. Now, it doesn't look very good but it can be accessed via wheel chair or family with stroller on the one corner and you can get to each shop.

What's really bad about this street integration is the landscaping, holy is it bad! For a 'Main Street' it's pretty disappointing how they've blended the building into the street, as in NOT AT ALL.

I wish they kept the store entrances at sidewalk level and just stepped the entrances down a few feet so every door is at street level even though it's on a slope. The 1st floor roof can still be the flat slab to simplify the construction, but just vary the first floor heights to match the profile of the street (shorter on the west, taller on the east). That way it's contextually designed and considers the street it's on first, not last. All good walking cities with good main streets but have hills do this to their buildings.

As it's designed now it's pretty sloppy and totally defeats the purpose of having retail on the ground floor. Huge miss.

Back