Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

The greenline will convert drivers to LRT riders.
Estimated at the equivalent of 6000 cars:

KWiMrc5.png

But should LRT even try to compete with cars, or should it replace overcrowded buses? Hoping to gain ridership using expensive LRT in areas where there aren't any significant ridership is a great way to flush money down the drain, as seen in numerous examples of unsuccessful LRT lines in the US.

1E5WiSn.png

This. Plus it is the fastest growing quadrant in the city. The population is there contrary to all the arguments that it’s just tumbleweeds and maintenance sheds. Currently there are no viable options other than driving a car for most people.
But Stage 1 doesn't reach walking distance of any of those population centers in the SE:

1vmLZnJ.png

But Stage 1 doesn't reach walking distance of any of those population centers in the SE:

Since when does it have to be walking distance to attract riders? Every other line in the city has people that take a bus to get to a station or park and ride. The SE population is ballooning and making a short trip to Shepard is a lot better than driving to Somerset or taking the 45 min BRT ride to DT.

Would you support the Green Line if it was doing NC first, and through downtown to say Quarry Park?
That was a major argument for skipping BRT and going to LRT directly.... But it was made on behalf of the NC. But with the massive cost overruns and the trouble in the DT, 15 years from now North of Beddington Trail communities probably won't have any LRT, or even significant transit service improvements of any kind.

Yk39dOH.png

Since when does it have to be walking distance to attract riders? Every other line in the city has people that take a bus to get to a station or park and ride. The SE population is ballooning and making a short trip to Shepard is a lot better than driving to Somerset or taking the 45 min BRT ride to DT.
This is true. After Stage 1, any extension of the Greenline should be quite productive and easier and replace some of that feeder bus ridership. Mackenzie Town, Auburn Bay and Seton are three fairly well thought-out nodes (by suburban standards) to support LRT stations and ridership. Centre Street is even better, with real density, existing and potential. It's easy to criticize Stage 1 though as it certainly has the vibes of being awfully expensive for what you get, with the exception of the downtown and Inglewood sections. Particularly rough is the Highfield and South Hill stretches of low job density, poor/zero sidewalks and more scrapyards, landfills and school bus storage within walking distance of rapid transit than probably any other LRT project in history. All these will change in time though with eventual redevelopment and intensification.

Knowing what we know now, If ridership and redevelopment potential was more heavily weighted (for the short-term), I would have preferred:
Stage 1: Country Hills Village to Highfield (with a maintenance facility on acquired scrapyards and school bus storage) ~19km
Stage 2: Highfield to Quarry Park ~7km
Stage 3: Quarry Park to South Calgary Hospital ~12km

All in all the alignment is a good one I think, giving the sprawling mess we have made sections of our city. I would just shuffle the sequence to maximize ridership and TOD potential from Day 1 would be my only concerns. I recall the North central property acquisition being a big sticking point - but if the project's delayed anyways - some of those intial assumptions on what stretch is easier/quicker/highest value has shifted as well.

Would you support the Green Line if it was doing NC first, and through downtown to say Quarry Park?
Yes, I think based on the arguments for presented for doing the Green Line that it makes more sense and follows the previous successful LRT practices to go North first. The SE IMO is also easier to build out in smaller extensions (if you don't need to reach the Shepard for the maintenance facility right away); while to reach a useful initial terminus point in the NC (like Beddington) still requires a "mega-project:"

D2IIJA6XgAMgAuJ.jpg

Yes, I think based on the arguments for presented for doing the Green Line that it makes more sense and follows the previous successful LRT practices to go North first. The SE IMO is also easier to build out in smaller extensions (if you don't need to reach the Shepard for the maintenance facility right away); while to reach a useful initial terminus point in the NC (like Beddington) still requires a "mega-project:"

I think it all depends on what the city wants to achieve.

NC LRT: More expensive and achieve higher LRT ridership on opening day.

SE LRT: Cheaper and attract more first time transit users and thus increase the percent of people taking transit.

Plus the SE, at the eventual end, is an anchor, the south health campus. The NC, there is no anchor - potential for the future for the airport, but that is distant.

Plus the SE, at the eventual end, is an anchor, the south health campus. The NC, there is no anchor - potential for the future for the airport, but that is distant.

There is land set aside somewhere in the north for a future North Health Campus, adjacent to the Green Line ROW.

My choice would be NC first, but I guess with maintenance sheds needed at the SE end, the SE end was always going to come first.

D2IIJA6XgAMgAuJ.jpg

D2IIJA6XgAMgAuJ.jpg

I think it all depends on what the city wants to achieve.

NC LRT: More expensive and achieve higher LRT ridership on opening day.

SE LRT: Cheaper and attract more first time transit users and thus increase the percent of people taking transit.
I think this is the big problem, where the City previously never truly decided about which was more important (though Route Ahead had the NC LRT slightly ahead), and which they were able to avoid by thinking the Green Line could be built all at once. But in 2017, when it became apparent that $4.6B could only build most of only one line, the City Admin chose the SE without any public engagement, debate or full accounting of how they scored it. Some anger was held in check at that time based on the hope that cost savings could be found in Stage 1 to expand construction, but now that the DT is in trouble, it's obvious to many NC politicians that LRT service in the NC, especially north of Beddington Trail, will be delayed indefinitely. Unless they can force a re-examination of the entire project now.

And with the news that Calgary Transit's operating budget will be reduced by $7M (requiring 80,000 hours of service cuts), higher ridership and reduced operating costs should be an increasingly important factor. With all the efforts the City is going through to find $60M in operating budget cuts from all departments, how's it going to pay for the $40M/year Stage 1 operating costs (net of new revenue and operational savings)?

To run the mammoth project, administration calculated it would take about $40 million in annual funding, which in the current budget would make up 15 per cent of Calgary Transit's operational costs.

Nenshi said the city's investing in transit service to places in Calgary that don't currently have good service, or they have no service at all, which means the city will have to come up with new cash to pad the line – especially in the southeast.

"When we built the West LRT, it actually had very little impact on our operating budget because we replaced buses that were more expensive on a per-rider basis," said Nenshi. "The BRTs, we'll be able to absorb, it's not a problem ... council is going to have to find significant money between now and 2026 to operate the Green Line."

My choice would be NC first, but I guess with maintenance sheds needed at the SE end, the SE end was always going to come first.
At the May 2017 meeting, Mayor Nenshi asks Fabiola MacIntyre, at 8:46:22 of the video, about sites in the North and she confirms that it could fit at Aurora Business Park (by 96th Ave).

So while Shepard is a better site for maintenance yard, and likely the best site for a $4.6-$5B project that stretched from North Pointe-Seton (or at least Beddington-Shepard, which was supposed to be the core of the Green Line), I think the location should be re-examined now that we know we can only build most of the SE or most of the NC given the funding that is available.

I still find it completely f*cking bonkers that these discussions are only happening now... long after approval and funding secured. Christ almighty.

I still find it completely f*cking bonkers that these discussions are only happening now... long after approval and funding secured. Christ almighty.

Right!? This feels like Groundhogs day with Bill Murray. I remember having these debates/discussions 5 years ago with Suburbia on SSP.

I think this is the big problem, where the City previously never truly decided about which was more important (though Route Ahead had the NC LRT slightly ahead), and which they were able to avoid by thinking the Green Line could be built all at once. But in 2017, when it became apparent that $4.6B could only build most of only one line, the City Admin chose the SE without any public engagement, debate or full accounting of how they scored it. Some anger was held in check at that time based on the hope that cost savings could be found in Stage 1 to expand construction, but now that the DT is in trouble, it's obvious to many NC politicians that LRT service in the NC, especially north of Beddington Trail, will be delayed indefinitely. Unless they can force a re-examination of the entire project now.

And with the news that Calgary Transit's operating budget will be reduced by $7M (requiring 80,000 hours of service cuts), higher ridership and reduced operating costs should be an increasingly important factor. With all the efforts the City is going through to find $60M in operating budget cuts from all departments, how's it going to pay for the $40M/year Stage 1 operating costs (net of new revenue and operational savings)?

Keep in mind Sean Chu didn't really push hard for the NC LRT to go through his ward. Whereas, Shane Keating gave the SE LRT line his full support and fought hard for it.

Back