Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

The ucp committed to the entire ndp capital plan. In a few years funding from future years will be available. The ucp could also just sign an agreement with the city to add let’s say 10 years of funding at the same level to the current commitment, to supply more money now/in 2022 when non tunnel or bridge parts of the project will need to start going to be done by 2026.

t90wkomhhyx21.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of falls in with the Green Line

We are hosting two open houses to share the project recommendations for a technology, alignment and station locations for the Airport Transit Connection. These open houses will give you an opportunity to learn about the study recommendations, share your feedback and speak with the project team.

Very disappointing progress on the Green Line so far this year. The main RFQ, which was initially planned for 2018, then rescheduled to Q2 2019, will now ‘start to be released’ in Q3 2019. The RFP was pushed back from Q1 2019 to Q3 2019 and will now ‘start to be released’ in Q1 2020.

Further, there is a comment that “Evaluation of the contract strategy is ongoing. A current scan of the construction market indicates a lack of capacity in the market for large procurement options. Other mega projects across the country have experienced significant challenges indicating that the sizes of the procurement packages impact the attractiveness for bidding and must be considered.” To me, this is project manager code for ‘we don’t know how we want to contract this, we are late developing the contract docs, and we are going to release little pieces first to make it look like we are progressing while the completion date drifts far into the future.’

This looks like they are at least a year behind the 2026 delivery schedule already and headed towards a two year delay.

Meeting materials: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings...527f1bb3e9&Agenda=Agenda&lang=English&Item=22

Agreed. I was hoping this would already be well underway by now. I'd like to be a fly on the wall in some of their meetings.

Well, tomorrow's committee meeting will be interesting:
? I didn't think that a potential change that drastic would be possible at this stage. But then again, it seems to be dragging already much longer then I would have hoped.

The tunnel isn't an engineering problem, but it is a contracting problem. Including something like the tunnel in a procurement that seeks to transfer 100% of the construction risk to the bidder is a problem, as large companies that bid on similar things have run into tunnel problems recently (Ottawa and Seattle come to mind) and would probably price a huge risk premium into their bid if they have to take on all the risk. There could be a few ways to mitigate the risk:
  • Change the route to not go on 2nd but instead go up 4th to avoid the sandy valley.
  • Remove an underground station (save $100 million or so)
  • Go radical and go above ground after all this time
  • Set up a risk sharing agreement for tunnel construction

Back