Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Best direction for the Green line at this point?

• Go ahead with the current option of Eau Claire to Lynbrook and phase in extensions.

Votes: 39 60.9%
  • Re-design the whole system

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Cancel it altogether

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters
Isn't this why other regions have more centralized transit/rail planning things like translink? Rail Alberta...

I think the Alberta government believe they can spin this thing up faster than they probably can... What they'll get out of couple months long engineering firm is nothing you can build. I hope they haven't been watching those videos on Chinese cities building out subways in a decade that are bigger than our existing systems. They probably want substantial construction started by Spring '27 so they can have a photo op around election time. 2.5 years does not feel long enough. Maybe it happens but rushing something that isn't ready has its risks.
Agencies like TransLink, Sound Transit and BART exist to co-ordinate projects across multiple municipalities. This isn't an issue in Calgary, but Edmonton will need something similar at some point,

The desired provincial alignment is at-grade from the downtown core to Seton.
Do they mean "above ground" or actually "at-grade"? If the latter, does that mean the section south of the Event Centre is subject to change as well? Inglewood/Ramsay through Crossroads is currently elevated.

You can't cross the CPKC tracks at grade anyway, so perhaps this means something like an underpass, which is not a tunnel and not elevated?

As far as i know AECON is contactor and not designing firm which only do construction and not involved in design project. Might be AECOM?
Most likely, they replace WSP which was the main design/engineering firm for Bow Transit Connector.

Aecom designed the Valley line in Edmonton - which looks extremely similar to what the UCP wants to do with the Green line.

Do they mean "above ground" or actually "at-grade"? If the latter, does that mean the section south of the Event Centre is subject to change as well? Inglewood/Ramsay through Crossroads is currently elevated.

You can't cross the CPKC tracks at grade anyway, so perhaps this means something like an underpass, which is not a tunnel and not elevated?
I think they simply mean the downtown terminus/7th ave connection would be at-grade.

Perhaps a very cheap option:

move underpass from 6 St SE to 5 St SE and build it big enough for both the train and vehicle lanes. Cars come up for 9th Ave; train comes up on the north side and terminates on the 400 block until they figure out actual integration with 7th. Perhaps easiest done by running diagonally across the surface lot there (pretty much the only block in EV without a DP right now...I wonder who owns it? CMLC?)

So they're using one of the companies from the runner up bid?
Bow Transit Connectors is made up of Barnard Constructors of Canada LP, Flatiron Constructors Canada Ltd. and WSP Canada Inc.

City Link Partners is composed of Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Dragados Canada Inc., Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc., Parsons Inc. and AECOM Canada Ltd.

My first thought yesterday was, is the city not overreacting a little bit? But then I though about it and I guess the Province did wake up from a nap and had a change of heart, and then did step on the City's toes by pulling funding and hiring the engineering firm they didn't hire overnight.

Second thought was, is there no pause button? Maybe there isn't.

What are the Green Line Board and other people working on the Green Line supposed to do until January. I mean, if you're the winning bidder what are you supposed to do sit around and wait for your competitor to tell you what to do?

I still don't have any idea what AECOM's scope of work is? A "new alignment" is so vague. C'mon MacVicar ask some follow ups or call the premier or minister's staff.

There was decent work done from Eau Claire to Shepard. Maybe AECOM is doing high level on Shepard to Seton and Grand Central Shitstorm to Downtown? It is not hard for the province to give us, the public, an idea of what is actually on the table here.

I'm really tired of the brainstorming of what could change leaking out throughout little individual briefings. Fuck off or tell us what you hired AECOM to do, through a non-competitive contract btw. Really all AECOM will be able to give them is napkin math so good luck to the province actually building anything for the price they give you.

Back