Green Line LRT | ?m | ?s | Calgary Transit

Best direction for the Green line at this point?

• Go ahead with the current option of Eau Claire to Lynbrook and phase in extensions.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • Re-design the whole system

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Cancel it altogether

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
Thinking past this... How is the purple line meant to integrate? Is it meant to join the Green Line at Crossroads? From day 1 I think the Purple Line ridership with be huge even just from where the BRT runs today.
RouteAhead documents provide more details about costs and possible ridership increases:

But there isn't any plans for the Purple Line to extend farther west than downtown and both possible extension west and east have a low benefit score.

Is the purple line the airport spur line?
I think this is referring to the Max Purple busway, which was designed to eventually accommodate LRT.

The busway starts near where 9 Ave crosses under Blackfoot Trail. That's not too far from the Inglewood/Ramsay green line station, but it's also on the other side of Blackfoot and a bunch of railway tracks, so it's not clear to me how the two would connect.

The difference is that in BC and Ontario the governments are swallowing the increased costs and going with the same project. Here in Calgary we cut back to stay within previous budgets
And it looks even worse as the original projections were ambitious and not based on even line drawings.

Recently the Surrey-Langley Skytrain extension increased by 50% in cost ($4 to $6 billion). And the Ontario Line new subway in Toronto increased by 43% to $27.2 billion. The Green Line cost escalations are just part of a trend across Canada (and beyond?), not bad management.
Why not both?

The difference is that in BC and Ontario the governments are swallowing the increased costs and going with the same project. Here in Calgary we cut back to stay within previous budgets
I don't think this is true. We did cut back the line to the bare minimum, but we also increased the share the city is paying. Originally we had $4.5 billion set aside, $1.5 billion from each level of government. This new first phase is around $6 billion now.

Honestly the Surrey-Langley skytrain still seems like a good deal, all things considered.

So basically the TLDR is that the 2021 provincial review is what messed this entire project up?
There's plenty of blame to go around, but I don't think the claim that the UCP review resulted in a 2-year delay holds up to scrutiny. Calgary Council only approved the new plan in June 2020, the UCP approved it in July 2021. But at that same time, the Green Line board was being setup and the new CEO didn't get hired until August 2021 (the previous managing director left in September 2020). I see no evidence that the Green Line was anywhere ready for construction in 2021 or 2022. As it was, even when the constructor was selected in April 2023, they requested another 16 months for design work.

If there's one big cause of the Green Line debacle, it's the overly optimistic estimate of the project cost in 2015 which led to massively inflated expectations, and caused the project to initially go with the most expensive options because there was plenty of money. And when costs started to escalate, it was always just one funding agreement away from getting back on track and leading the city to fall into the sunk cost trap.

The delays are unfortunate, but if it gives people time to reconsider the wisdom of a crosstown streetcar, it's likely worth it.

As predicted, Edmonton is already having problems with theirs..

1000004623.png

Wonder what happens now, is the line dead? If the UCP wants so much input, they can pay for it like how Ford is paying for the Ontario line overruns

What a shitshow, the actual reasons stated are even worse.

He went on to say the province is willing to contract with an independent third party to supply the province and city with an alternative costed proposal to integrate the Green Line with the Red and Blue Lines running along downtown 7th Avenue and to a future Grand Central Station in the east end entertainment district, to be anchored by a new events centre.

Back