Glo | 15.85m | 5s | Russell RED | Casola Koppe

I have heard that this one was refused by the SDAB. The written decision hasn't been released yet I don't think, but heard that the board gave a verbal decision, with the written decision to follow. This came from someone involved with the development at the appeal board.

Good.

Let's increase the standard of design in this city. Especially in Sunnyside, it's become one of the most beautiful neighborhood's in Calgary IMHO.

Good.

Let's increase the standard of design in this city. Especially in Sunnyside, it's become one of the most beautiful neighborhood's in Calgary IMHO.
I dunno. I agree on raising the standard for design in the city on high profile streets and such, but IMO even though though the design is average, the design is good enough for a location like this. What bothers me most is residents opposing it due to its scale.

I dunno. I agree on raising the standard for design in the city on high profile streets and such, but IMO even though though the design is average, the design is good enough for a location like this. What bothers me most is residents opposing it due to its scale.

Pretty soon we'll have a city full of 'good filler' type developments.

It's an average development, but what is there now is more beautiful than what is being proposed.

I have heard that this one was refused by the SDAB. The written decision hasn't been released yet I don't think, but heard that the board gave a verbal decision, with the written decision to follow. This came from someone involved with the development at the appeal board.

The written decision is now out:

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/absdab/doc/2018/2018cgysdab18/2018cgysdab18.pdf

Reading the SDAB reasons for decision, the main issue was the number of relaxations in terms of height, setbacks, and landscaping, which cumulatively indicate that the proposal is pushing past the limits of the zoning and the ARP.

I’m not a fan of this decision, but I will grant that there was certainly a lot of hair on this one, and the developers gave the SDAB one too many reasons to deny it, especially in the face of organized community opposition.

Hmm, organized community opposition may be a stretch. A few well heeled individuals that could afford lawyers would be more accurate.

Wonder where it goes from here? Does the developer redo the proposal or do they try and sell and perhaps someone awesome like RNDSQR picks up the properties?

Hmm, organized community opposition may be a stretch. A few well heeled individuals that could afford lawyers would be more accurate.
Wonder where it goes from here? Does the developer redo the proposal or do they try and sell and perhaps someone awesome like RNDSQR picks up the properties?
Exactly. It's probably not many people opposed, and if the developer was not trying to stretch to many boundaries it probably would have gotten through. I'm not in th development business, but I would think that tweaking the original plan shouldn't be that hard. Time consuming more than anything.

There’s a “Fully Assembled Land for Sale” sign in front of this one now. I guess someone else will be driving the reboot of the project. Battistella to the rescue?

This is the kind of story that takes years off of those involved on the developer side.

There’s a “Fully Assembled Land for Sale” sign in front of this one now. I guess someone else will be driving the reboot of the project. Battistella to the rescue?

Back