Glenmore Landing | 115m | 35s | RioCan | NORR

You can see that earlier in the thread - the city made a render of what the shadows would look at some darker time of the year (because they have to make these kinds of renderings). Haysboro definitely had a few blocks east of 14th in shadow. I think people saw that and it got shared around with some worst-case commentary.

Chinook Park definitely has multifamily along Elbow Drive. Kelvin Grove has even more, including notable landmark Mayfair Place. (Kelvin Grove is an interesting community to me. It's like 50% apartments + commercial, and 50% 4-bedroom 1960s houses on estate sized lots).

But I can kind of see where they get the "no multifamily" idea because there aren't any infills in the area, which is a contrast to Kingsland on the other side of Elbow. I'm not sure whether that's due to zoning or restrictive covenants.
Cost. SFH in Kelvin Grove are very expensive. Assembling lots for multi-family would be prohibitively expensive. It would also be unnecessary as there are:
-old multifamily complex to the south of Mayfair Place that could easily be redeveloped
-underutilized parking lot to the south of the professional offices
-empty lot behind the former Bantrel Building that fronts Glenmore. In the early 2000s, the site was planned fore a second office building

This is actually pretty rad.
I'm sold, based on this opposition groups renderings.
R-13_Final 05.jpg

Fascinating how traffic can increase so much and yet there's still only one person jogging...

Like, way to tell on yourself.

Right?! All of their arguments seem to be more selling points for a lot of people.
anyway as an young generation in YYC, i would love that project happen cause we do need some social activities we do need somewhere similar to metrotown, brentwood in YVR or Young finch in YYZ. their rendering looks pretty, actually the developer could save designing fee, they could copy that design! looks nice to me

Unsurprisingly, the opposition to these towers from the community corresponds with a community association "takeover" by single-issue nimbys joining the board. Interesting to hear that the past board's thoughts on this; they apparently went out of their way to make one last appeal to reason in the December newsletter before being ousted.

One of the new boards' talking points is that this development threatens Calgarians' water supply because it's near the Glenbow Reservoir. Imagine reaching for straws that hard?

One of the new boards' talking points is that this development threatens Calgarians' water supply because it's near the Glenbow Reservoir. Imagine reaching for straws that hard?
Well safety first - drinking water is at stake! I guess the city needs to expropriate and tear down Bayview, Heritage Park, Eagle Ridge, and Rockyview Hospital to set an appropriate environmental setback. It's the only way.

Unsurprisingly, the opposition to these towers from the community corresponds with a community association "takeover" by single-issue nimbys joining the board. Interesting to hear that the past board's thoughts on this; they apparently went out of their way to make one last appeal to reason in the December newsletter before being ousted.

I came here to post this, but you beat me to it. It's one of the more entertaining stories regarding this proposal. I love the parting shot (in the December newsletter) from the members who were leaving.
1705267195970.png

Based on the renderings

I don't know how anyone can think the renderings look great and would want to live there. I can understand the trade off living in a high rise surrounded by other close high rises in the centre of the Beltline. Not here. I don't consider Calgary building low and mid-rises such as the University District instead of dense high rise clusters as falling behind Toronto or Vancouver. I see it as a plus. These districts won't be as convenient with the recent population explosion. The explosive population growth is the problem.

Are these real renderings of the what will be built or something concocted by the this group? I don't agree with them or the forum. Good on all parties taking an interest. Input always Increases the chances of a better outcome. Riocan has been repositioning all their holdings with grand mixed use redevelopments and they own a ton of retail properties. The comment that this may not happen within anyone's lifetime is actually possible.

Based on the renderings

I don't know how anyone can think the renderings look great and would want to live there. I can understand the trade off living in a high rise surrounded by other close high rises in the centre of the Beltline. Not here. I don't consider Calgary building low and mid-rises such as the University District instead of dense high rise clusters as falling behind Toronto or Vancouver. I see it as a plus. These districts won't be as convenient with the recent population explosion. The explosive population growth is the problem.

Are these real renderings of the what will be built or something concocted by the this group? I don't agree with them or the forum. Good on all parties taking an interest. Input always Increases the chances of a better outcome. Riocan has been repositioning all their holdings with grand mixed use redevelopments and they own a ton of retail properties. The comment that this may not happen within anyone's lifetime is actually possible.
the projects in university district is great, but based on the existing situation of Gelenmore landing, it wont generate any revenue for developer if they copy university district, who will develop the land for none profit? if everyone thinks as you, Calgary will be flat land forwever, not developer will interest at this city cause people living here opposite to any mordern style project, they just want to keep their city with parking lots and 1-2story builings....

Back