Francecso's | 48m | 16s | Arlington Street | DAAS

IMG_5525.jpeg
IMG_5526.jpeg

I forgot the small Homespace one that’s on 16th ave .
Homespace added 👍

From July of 2021 onward this is what I came up with (and I might be missing others) Redstone was only starting to rent out units in June of 2021, and probably could have been added, but left it off.

BLVD - 650
Park Central - 463
Oliver - 866
11&11 - 369
Nude - 177
The Hat - 239
1400 - 106
The Fifth - 34
Upten - 379
Homespace - 51

Total of 3,333 units added to the Beltline since the statscan profile from July of 2021.

Also interesting is that list is only developments within the Beltline's map boundaries, and only the Beltline's population. The true nature of the area's explosive growth would include recent developments on the periphery.
Sunalta Tower west - 207
The Cunningham - 40
Mission Flats - 67
Solo on 4th - 40
Lynbrook Manor - 54
West Village Towers - 554
Elva - 61
Nimmons Court - 84
Riverwalk - 141

Another 1,248 units recently added that are Beltline adjacent.

I’d say Beltline is probably closer to 35,000 now, as we also had a bunch of buildings finishing up within the year before the census, and our vacancy is lower now than it was then. Either way, an average of 1100 units per year in one neighbourhood is pretty awesome, over 1500 per year in downtown total.

I’d say Beltline is probably closer to 35,000 now, as we also had a bunch of buildings finishing up within the year before the census, and our vacancy is lower now than it was then. Either way, an average of 1100 units per year in one neighbourhood is pretty awesome, over 1500 per year in downtown total.
This is a good point, I think vacancy in rental units downtown in 2021 was closer to 5-8% and it's like <2% now. Thats not an insignificant jump in population either.

True, the vacancy rate was higher, plus Underwood, Soho and Redstone were all just starting to rent around the time of the census. Redstone was probably after.

There was also Cube and Aura/Arch. They were completed before the census, but not much before and in the time of high vacancy. I wish the city still did a civic census, even if every 2-3 years. It would interesting to see the population growth for neighborhoods like Beltline, Sunnyside, Mission, etc..

Odds are good that it will double again in 20 years. It's getting to a critical mass now.
Wouldn't surprise me if we see a couple of new highrises start construction every year, with the projects getting larger on average as we go. 15-20 years ago 18-22 storeys with 200 units was the norm, these days the developments are bigger with a lot more units.

Odds are good that it will double again in 20 years. It's getting to a critical mass now.
The plan is for Calgary to be around 4.5 million by 2050 (with Canadian annual immigration at over 700k). It should top 100k if we stay on that trajectory. I'm not a supporter.

The plan is for Calgary to be around 4.5 million by 2050 (with Canadian annual immigration at over 700k). It should top 100k if we stay on that trajectory. I'm not a supporter.
100K+ a year is a blip - we aren’t likely to maintain that long-term. I’d expect a 2-2.5M region by 2050, 3M outside chance. But who knows :)

That said, different areas have different growth rates. Downtown and Beltline have been growing at 2-3x the citywide average for the past 20 years. Maintain that trend and will see a 50,000 person Beltline, and an urban walkable core inner city of several hundred thousand. We will see new denser clusters emerge of walkability and urban vibes, such as the new larger proposals in Marda Loop, university district and others.

That’s the game changer and what would make Calgary become a big, urban feeling place. The top-line total population is helpful, but it’s the truly urban population that will make a difference in big-city vibes, amount of opportunities and experiences.

Last edited:

Back