News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Flames Official Thread

Oilers are the enemy, I'll never cheer for them. I'll also never cheer for the Leafs just because of how the Toronto based "national media" won't shut up about them. And I'll also never cheer for the Canucks, their fans were the most annoying I've met when the team was good. I'll cheer on the other Canadian teams though.

Oilers are the enemy, I'll never cheer for them. I'll also never cheer for the Leafs just because of how the Toronto based "national media" won't shut up about them. And I'll also never cheer for the Canucks, their fans were the most annoying I've met when the team was good. I'll cheer on the other Canadian teams though.
Over the years I've built up my biases against at least the Oilers, the Habs, The Jets, The Canucks and the Leafs. all due to previous playoff battles or dealing with obnoxious fans. Ottawa is the only team I don't get worked up about, although this year I did find myself cheering for the Leafs for the first time...possibly out of pity.

Always fascinated that it seems that of the hundreds of experienced former NHL players and the hundreds more hockey front office people, coaches, etc, it always seems to be someone who played a lot of games for the local franchise who just happens to be the best possible candidate in like 90% of these searches. It's worse in this case, since he's been Treliving's assistant for years -- he has had a close look at how to buy out the bad contract you signed two years earlier, or how to have all-star talent walk away. If Treliving had a successful tenure, then sure, keep the assistant on. Treliving's nine seasons: 362 wins, 338 losses, more playoff misses (4) than second round wins (2). Grindingly mediocre.

What was management's ask here: "We're getting almost a billion dollars from the citizens! This is a massive operation! Get me the best possible candidate for this vital position! Leave no stone unturned! But don't bother going outside this building..." Like, I look farther to order a pizza than they apparently looked for a GM.

Always fascinated that it seems that of the hundreds of experienced former NHL players and the hundreds more hockey front office people, coaches, etc, it always seems to be someone who played a lot of games for the local franchise who just happens to be the best possible candidate in like 90% of these searches. It's worse in this case, since he's been Treliving's assistant for years -- he has had a close look at how to buy out the bad contract you signed two years earlier, or how to have all-star talent walk away. If Treliving had a successful tenure, then sure, keep the assistant on. Treliving's nine seasons: 362 wins, 338 losses, more playoff misses (4) than second round wins (2). Grindingly mediocre.

What was management's ask here: "We're getting almost a billion dollars from the citizens! This is a massive operation! Get me the best possible candidate for this vital position! Leave no stone unturned! But don't bother going outside this building..." Like, I look farther to order a pizza than they apparently looked for a GM.
I would be open to City Council getting to pick the GM and lineup changes for that matter - make a whole public hearing out of it. Anyone can go up and get a few minutes to speak your mind to your local politicians about what they should do with the team every week. For nearly $1B investment it's hardly too big of an ask!

Think about it - a shiny new arena is supposed to put a city on the map. What's even more likely to stay in the news is the endless clips of crazy hockey fans presenting in public hearing weekly for decades! Anyone can just buy a fancy arena, but Calgary would be a household name in the sporting world with such a bizarre experiment of public representation for a public investment :)

I would be open to City Council getting to pick the GM and lineup changes for that matter - make a whole public hearing out of it. Anyone can go up and get a few minutes to speak your mind to your local politicians about what they should do with the team every week. For nearly $1B investment it's hardly too big of an ask!

Think about it - a shiny new arena is supposed to put a city on the map. What's even more likely to stay in the news is the endless clips of crazy hockey fans presenting in public hearing weekly for decades! Anyone can just buy a fancy arena, but Calgary would be a household name in the sporting world with such a bizarre experiment of public representation for a public investment :)
You should familiarize yourself with English (perhaps more than English, that's just what I know) soccer fan groups. They do do that in a way.

We will get an idea of what to expect when he hires a coaching staff.

F'n Tkachuk, bastard is going to win the cup this year. Almost a year after Treliving pulled off that trade, Florida clearly won and we clearly lost. On paper it was a great deal for us, but Chucky is just killin it right now, probably going to win the Conn Smythe!

F'n Tkachuk, bastard is going to win the cup this year. Almost a year after Treliving pulled off that trade, Florida clearly won and we clearly lost. On paper it was a great deal for us, but Chucky is just killin it right now, probably going to win the Conn Smythe!
So painful! Lol.

I know! it's frustrating as hell. I can already imagine Chucky parading the cup around. I guess Treliving did what he could. Chucky was leaving one way or another.

I know! it's frustrating as hell. I can already imagine Chucky parading the cup around. I guess Treliving did what he could. Chucky was leaving one way or another.
He left because he didn't get the big contract he wanted initially. Playing hard ball with your best players turned out to be a poor decision.

While Florida has won the trade, it can still be a win-win if Huberdeau recovers next year. Weegar is also having a monster tournament at the worlds.

I'm fully confident the Flames will be much better next year, they were the better team on the ice most games this year, but were just off. Sutter seems to be a big part of that, not having him back will be a plus I think. I'm really curious to see how Conroy handles this summer...

I bet we'll see Hanifin (or another defenseman) traded for a Top 6 winger. Then if the team does well, we'll try resigning the remaining free agents at the deadline, and if it sucks, there will be a major deadline firesale.

I bet we'll see Hanifin (or another defenseman) traded for a Top 6 winger. Then if the team does well, we'll try resigning the remaining free agents at the deadline, and if it sucks, there will be a major deadline firesale.
I bet we will see Hanifin traded to save cap space. Zadorov has been really good, and Kylington indicated he will be playing next year, so we have good depth on D, and we need to free up some space so I think he will be the sacrificial lamb. Sad because Hanifin is awesome, but someone has to go. I feel like the top 6 will stay intact, they underperformed last year, so look for them to be hungry. It's the depth I see changing, unless of course Lindholm really does want out too, then we're in trouble.

Back