News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Flames Official Thread

Yeah, I saw that. Like I said, it may just be speculation, and the sources of the rumour are not credible. Of course Murray Edwards could just be saying that too until he has a firm arena deal. I’m not holding my breath that he’ll sell because Flames fans aren’t that lucky!

If you're an NHL owner and you're seeing what's happening in Ottawa, you're definitely listening. Calgary arguably would have much more value than Ottawa which is renowned to be sleepy town. At least in Calgary there's disposable income and some kind of party atmosphere. Stampede is a lot of things but this town does tend to let loose.

For perspective, 11 years ago the Oilers franchise value increased 78% after just announcing their new arena deal. I'm sure Katz shared that ROI with the tax payers....just like Murray would

If you're an NHL owner and you're seeing what's happening in Ottawa, you're definitely listening. Calgary arguably would have much more value than Ottawa which is renowned to be sleepy town. At least in Calgary there's disposable income and some kind of party atmosphere. Stampede is a lot of things but this town does tend to let loose.
What's happening with Ottawa?

If the Senators, a team that nobody cares about can garner that much attention, then who knows. Sports franchises of all leagues seem to be skyrocketing. Now that many of the leagues have hit around the 30-32 mark, there isn't an appetite for expansion, and franchises are becoming a collector's item.

The latest bids for the ownership of the team have ballooned to over 1 billion
If the new arena, includes an already completed "main street" in a entertainment district where you get all the revenue from the facility... Murray could also want that money for himself. As much as Calgary is a small market, this all helps the value (Murray).

Last edited:
I heard the player's exit interviews after the season ended were not kind to Sutter.
It's an interesting dynamic: I wonder if treliving gave sutter that extension last summer? If tre did, and not murray or someone else in CSEC; for him to then turn around and have a bad enough professional falling out for tre to walk away from a contract offer himself. That's wild!

Either way darryl has someone to thank for that contract. He still gets 4M+ to stay home for two years!

A couple of Treliving‘s former draft picks, Bennett and Tkachuk are playing very well in the playoffs.
It’s especially sad to see Tkachuk playing well, I always thought he would be a great player so it’s not surprising. I’m still disappointed that he chose to leave, and wonder how much of that involved Sutter.

Back