News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Calgary Flames Official Thread

I don’t think there’s a need to blow up the team, sometimes teams have an off year (2020-21 Flames for example). If next season is another disaster then it’s time for major changes.
It seems like everybody is OK, giving them one more year, myself included, but after that, it’s time for a rebuild. And I am with Alex YYZ, if we’re going to rebuild, let’s do this right and get some more big time draft picks.

Here's how many top 5 picks each team has had in the past 30 drafts:
1681931454773.png

Sam Bennett is that #4 pick for Calgary, by the way. The Red Wings got a #3 pick in 1990 (Primeau). The Calgary Flames have never drafted in the top 3; (the Atlanta Flames had #2 picks in 72 and 73). The only team to go longer without a #1 is Vancouver.

Yes, there's some pretty bad teams at the top of the table -- you don't draft that many high picks without some miserable years. But that table of top 5 picks also contains 9 of the last 10 people to be handed the Stanley Cup for the team that drafted them (the Kings drafted Dustin Brown at 13, although Drew Doughty was a #2 for them and is on that table). Not just the captains, but other core generational talents -- Landeskog, but also MacKinnon and Makar; Stamkos, but also Hedman; Crosby, but also Malkin and Fleury; Ovechkin but also Backstrom.

Sam Bennett is that #4 pick for Calgary, by the way. The Red Wings got a #3 pick in 1990 (Primeau). The Calgary Flames have never drafted in the top 3; (the Atlanta Flames had #2 picks in 72 and 73). The only team to go longer without a #1 is Vancouver.

Yes, there's some pretty bad teams at the top of the table -- you don't draft that many high picks without some miserable years. But that table of top 5 picks also contains 9 of the last 10 people to be handed the Stanley Cup for the team that drafted them (the Kings drafted Dustin Brown at 13, although Drew Doughty was a #2 for them and is on that table). Not just the captains, but other core generational talents -- Landeskog, but also MacKinnon and Makar; Stamkos, but also Hedman; Crosby, but also Malkin and Fleury; Ovechkin but also Backstrom.
That's just it, when it comes to high draft picks, they don't guarantee a cup if the teams have bad mgmt, but they definitely help in getting generational players. There are a number of players in the table who are stars or generational players that might still win a cup. McDavid, Drasaitl, Marner, Austin Mathews for example.
For me it's not just about getting a top 5 pick, but also the sheer number of high picks. Still some good players in the late first or in the second round. If the Flames were to rebuild, I'd like to see them have multiple first and second round picks for a few years.

It seems like everybody is OK, giving them one more year, myself included, but after that, it’s time for a rebuild. And I am with Alex YYZ, if we’re going to rebuild, let’s do this right and get some more big time draft picks.
Two years is okay. They can even start the rebuilding now without having to blow up the team. Concentrate on winning with the players they have over the next one or two seasons, but start moving pieces around at lower levels as a work up to building more draft picks. Two years from now they can start offloading better players for better draft picks and just go for the rebuild completely.
When you see players, like Backlund or Lindholm, not committing to the future of the Flames, it tells me that even the players think it’s time for a rebuild.

Detroit is at the bottom of that list and have 3 cups in that time.
Four actually; based on the backs of players drafted before this period -- all 11 hall of famers on those teams were drafted before 1993. Of those, Larry Murphy was a 2nd, Chelios and Yzerman were 4th rounders. And that was a very different era; I don't think the Flames should plan to draft a bunch of hall of famers from Europe in the late rounds because no one sends scouts over there.

I can't say I'm surprised. Not necessarily because of this past season's record, but because of all the rumors about the players not being happy. I always wonder how much of Johnny and Tkachuk leaving was becuase of Sutter.

Last edited:
Current rumour on the internet is that Murray Edwards may be looking to sell the team as well, and that he may just be waiting to see what happens in Ottawa first. May just be speculation.
Sell, please please sell!!! F that guy!!!

Doubt there is much of a difference with the CFL involved, Stamps aren't worth much, probably $50M.

Back