News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Flames Official Thread

Yeesh. I'm a bit of a sucker for some good old fashioned chaos, but that draft lottery last night was something else.
Despite Ottawa and Detroit having excellent shots at getting the first overall pick - and DESPERATELY needing it - an unknown team will get Lafreniere, as determined by how this upcoming play-in series will go.
Yes, if Calgary loses vs. the Jets, we will have a 1 in 8 shot at a potential franchise player. The unfortunate news is, teams like the Oilers, Penguins, Predators, Blackhawks, and Leafs each have a shot at that pick too. Lord knows they don't need/deserve it.

I don't think it's something worth intentionally losing over, and I don't think you could convince the players to throw games even if you wanted to. But it does stand as a potential HUGE consolation prize, should we lose the play-in.
The way I see it, if we go deep in the playoffs we've got a good team here and I'm happy. If we crap out in the play in we've got work to do, and the potential Lafreniere would definitely speed that up. It would royally suck to both lose the play-in AND the draft lottery though. Especially if a team like those mentioned above, namely Edmonton, ends up winning it.

What an absolutely dominant series for the Flames. You could tell every single player really bought in, and every line played well. People will point to the Scheifele and Laine injuries, sure, but that's part of playoffs. Jets had lots of other guys who could step up, and they didn't/couldn't. Wheeler, Connor, Eakin, and Ehlers combined for a grand total of 4 points in this series. Eakin registered one shot across four games.

Flames outworked, outplayed, out defended, out goalied, and out coached the Jets, and they did so masterfully. They were phenomenal in all three wins, and even played pretty well in the loss. As long as they can continue this balanced offense, suffocating defense, hard physicality, and great goaltending, this could be a team that goes far. I don't want to get too hyped yet as there's still 16 wins to go, but they absolutely shredded this series.

Unfortunately, odds are we will be fighting one of St Louis, Colorado, or Vegas in the first round. We could fight Dallas, which I think would be much easier, but only if all of VAN, EDM, and NSH lose their series. So far EDM and NSH are down 1-2 each, but VAN is up 2-1 so we've gotta hope MIN can claw it back.

Of those matchups, which do you think the Flames have the best chance against?

I like this year's version of the Flames heading into round one, better than last year's version. They seem to be playing better as a team, and the style of their play is tougher for other teams to play against, compared to last year's team which scored all their goals on the rush.

Looks like we'll be facing the winner of the St Louis - Dallas game. Not sure I have a preference...regardless of who we face, it's going to be tough. Part of me wishes it would have been Colorado, as I think we'd be better competition this time around and would like to see revenge against them.

The Flames have the best chance against either Dallas or St Louis, which works out as they’ll be playing one of the two teams. Whoever they end up playing won’t be an easy opponent, but Colorado and Vegas look great right now.

What an absolutely dominant series for the Flames. You could tell every single player really bought in, and every line played well. People will point to the Scheifele and Laine injuries, sure, but that's part of playoffs. Jets had lots of other guys who could step up, and they didn't/couldn't. Wheeler, Connor, Eakin, and Ehlers combined for a grand total of 4 points in this series. Eakin registered one shot across four games.

Flames outworked, outplayed, out defended, out goalied, and out coached the Jets, and they did so masterfully. They were phenomenal in all three wins, and even played pretty well in the loss. As long as they can continue this balanced offense, suffocating defense, hard physicality, and great goaltending, this could be a team that goes far. I don't want to get too hyped yet as there's still 16 wins to go, but they absolutely shredded this series.

Unfortunately, odds are we will be fighting one of St Louis, Colorado, or Vegas in the first round. We could fight Dallas, which I think would be much easier, but only if all of VAN, EDM, and NSH lose their series. So far EDM and NSH are down 1-2 each, but VAN is up 2-1 so we've gotta hope MIN can claw it back.

Of those matchups, which do you think the Flames have the best chance against?

I think the Flames stack up well against Dallas, they need to keep their foot on the gas and not take penalties though!
I think St Louis would have been better, but Dallas is probably better than Colorado or Vegas. I hope the Flames aren't looking at Dallas' round robin record thinking they're in a slump and getting over-confident.

Calgary is ready I think. Not sure if they’ll win the series but they’re more prepared this year IMO.
there’s no easy route for anyone, except possibly Vancouver with St. Louis, St. Louis just doesn’t look very good right now.

i’m happy to see that Edmonton is out of the playoffs, and also happy that they didn’t get the lottery pick again, nice to see the Rangers get it.

I'd rather Dallas than St Louis, especially if Dallas still struggle to score! Vancouver - St Louis should be quite entertaining as well.

Good start for the Flames!

Well, Dallas is poised to knock the Flames out tonight, so perhaps I was wrong! lol. Flames still outskated and outplayed, relying on a stellar goaltending performance again, reminding me of the Avalanche series last year. If the Flames are out tonight, it might be time to look at trading Johnny for someone with a pair of balls lol.

Well, Dallas is poised to knock the Flames out tonight, so perhaps I was wrong! lol. Flames still outskated and outplayed, relying on a stellar goaltending performance again, reminding me of the Avalanche series last year. If the Flames are out tonight, it might be time to look at trading Johnny for someone with a pair of balls lol.
There have been times this series when the Flames looked as good as the Stars, but never better than the Stars or times when they were dominant, but Dallas has looked better at least 60% of the time, and about 30% of the Stars have looked totally dominant. It's possible the Flames might eek one out and tie the series, but they aren't winning the series, and if they somehow managed to do that, they aren't getting any further.

Unfortunately you're right, there needs to be some changes, they just don't have what it takes to compete with the big guns.

Choke!

That was a pretty spectacular melt down. Can't think they will keep things the same next season, something has to change now.

Back