News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Flames Official Thread

Went to bed at 3-1 and just had a feeling they weren’t going to maintain the lead. Didn’t think they would blow it so spectacularly though.
I left when it was 3-3, but when it was 3-1 I had this feeling they were done. The Flames can't hold anyone off. Game 4 where they had the lead and lost it with 11 seconds left, reminded me of game two of the Colorado series. They just couldn't get it out of their own end let alone an empty net goal.

Feeling better about the Flames loss now that Dallas won the west and is awaiting a dance partner in the finals. The Flames would have to pay double the salary to land guys like Mony or Johnny, so I expect little changes to the top 6 forwards. The D will have a bit of a shakeup, Gio is 37 now and only has another 2 or 3 years as a top 4 D man.

I'm interested in what Tre's plan is for this offseason. Right now it sounds like the Flames are in on everybody under the sun. I've heard OEL, Kuemper, Markstrom, Holtby, Palmeiri, Lehner, Josh Anderson, Korpisalo, Dumba, Laine, and more.
It would be peak Calgary Flames to have all those rumors swirling just to end up with some underwhelming Jack Johnson trade, lmao

There's no reason to trade Johnny or Mony unless either of them clearly indicate that they won't re-sign, like you said, they're at good cap hits. I honestly don't even think they're the problem. I think we need one more top 6 guy, and then a D revamp. I also find it concerning how little faith our coaching staff (two years in a row now) have had in Rittich as a playoff goalie. And for good reason. He looked bored and slow for the entirety of the return.

Of goalies listed I think i'd be most interested in Lehner or Markstrom ... but I'm honestly fine with bringing back Talbot on another short term deal too. He was excellent in the playoffs.

In terms of forwards, we need more finish. That's been the case for years. I find Laine to be VERY intriguing - just picturing Laine on a line with Gaudreau setting him up makes me salivate. He's rumoured to be pretty unhappy with the Jets org right now, and Jets badly want a top 2 center. Laine would be ridiculously expensive, but oh man. He matured a lot as a player this year (much more consistent and defensively responsible) and he still has the potential to be a perennial 50G scorer.

OEL and Dumba don't intrigue me very much. Too much money for unspectacular numbers. I'd rather we bring in some lowkey guys (DeMelo? Pesce?) and then give Valimaki, Mackey, Kylington, and Kinnvall a chance to play some games.

Im hearing Taylor Hall rumours too, apparently he wants to play in his home city.

Are the Flames ever choking hard this year! Think this is going to be the year they break up the core and try again, I see Monahan moving.

Ive heard rumblings that there's interest in moving Monahan to Buffalo in a possible Eichel Deal. Likely packaged with Bennet and a first or second round pick. But then again Treliving is always interested whenever a player hits the market but it usually never pans out. I have the flames finishing 4th in the North Division, they are usually able to get it together by the ending half of the season.

Ive heard rumblings that there's interest in moving Monahan to Buffalo in a possible Eichel Deal. Likely packaged with Bennet and a first or second round pick. But then again Treliving is always interested whenever a player hits the market but it usually never pans out. I have the flames finishing 4th in the North Division, they are usually able to get it together by the ending half of the season.
4th seems to be the most likely finish. If they had have won yesterday, I would still be holding out hope, as Montreal and Edmonton are only 4 games over .500.

Who knows maybe there will be a coaching change or trade that will jolt them out of their slumber.

I'd take that deal for sure!
Im a little bit biased as I'm a sabres too fan so Ive suffered through the last 10 years of pain, but if Eichel does move id want it to be Calgary, even though it will probably be NYR

The Flames have fired Geoff Ward and hired Darryl Sutter as head coach. His contract is for the remainder of this season plus 2 more. The press release introducing him as head coach is scheduled for 11 am friday march 5th

The Flames have fired Geoff Ward and hired Darryl Sutter as head coach. His contract is for the remainder of this season plus 2 more. The press release introducing him as head coach is scheduled for 11 am friday march 5th
Interesting. As long as he's only the coach and not the GM. It'll be interesting to see if he can turn things around like he did when he was coaching in Calgary and in LA.

Well I didn't expect this, wow! This could be a good move, the boys are lazy and have no work ethic, that's Sutter's bread and butter lol. I don't think it's a downgrade by any stretch at least.

Back