News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Calgary Flames Official Thread

The Flames are more like the Sparks so far this year. Count me in as one of those who wants them to start rebuilding now. Like many of you, I wanted to give them a chance this year to see what they could do, but they look lost.
We had a very small window of being a contender, and when Johnny and Matthew moved on, that was the end of it really. Bad goaltending against the Oilers cost the Flames their best shot. Now it’s time to face the fact that it’s over and move on.

As much as I wish for neck guards to be mandated in the NHL I am also aware of how behind the NHL can be when it comes to mandating such things. Helmets and visors for instance were only made mandatory decades after they were in Europe and they were grandfathered in.

Its such a sad situation, not only do I feel for Adam Johnson, his family and everyone at the rink that day, but as well as they player on the other end of the collision Matt Petgrave. I can only imagine what he's feeling, especially with the amount of people on social media calling it intentional, and calling for him to be arrested for murder.

Anyone who's played hockey knows how fast the game is and knows that this was in no way intentional.

I hope to see a neckgaurd mandate from the NHL or even from team in the coming days, especially with how non invasive they are now.

It's not the NHL but it is a step forward in the right direction. Hopefully the NHL follows suit.

NHL will do it too, kind of surprising they haven't. When was the last time it happened in the NHL, Zedneck in 2008?

Much better game by the Flames last night, even if it was a loss, I can stomach it if they actually try lol.

I think they should get Markstrom off the balance sheet any way possible, Vladar to 1G, and bring up Wolf. Trade Rasmus Andersson and Coleman for picks, and sign Nylander with the new cap space. Give the young guys minutes, and make our D-men play offence.

That gives us exciting hockey for the next 3 years, and a future to work with. We've been hedging our bets for 10 years so that we can sometimes make the playoffs, but never do well. I'm not bearish enough on the team to blow the whole thing up yet, but we have a $10.5M playmaker with no one to pass to. At the very least develop a rock solid young core under the supervision of great players so that we can be good 5-6 years from now. Once Hubs, Kadri, Weegs, and Nylander are off the books, sign rockstars that teams can't afford.

Sounds like the Flames are pausing all contract talks too. Might as well wait and see if this clusterfuck of a season turns around.
I can't see this turning around. I won't be surprised if they pick it up and win a few more games, but the team isn't a contender, and doesn't have any future as is. They need to start fro scratch unfortunately. It's the only way we'll get Gaudreau / Tcachuk type players again.

The Flames absolutely can turn this around and be a competitive playoff team, maybe not a contender though. Whether they will is all about what happens in the dressing room and their leadership therein.
I admire your optimism but they're not a competitive playoff team. Their hole is simply to deep for them to climb out of and be a playoff team. The flames have to play .620 hockey to get to the Jets 95 point mark that got them in last year. Currently there are only 11 teams above that point percentage in the league (the flames are not a top 11 team in the NHL):

1699311156259.png

If you're a flames fan and you care more about how the team does during the next few years and not just this year you should be actively cheering for them to lose.

I don't see why we should be trying to get into the playoffs with this group anyway because we're in no way fit to go anywhere past the first round and the team is obviously on a downward trend. It's been obvious to the fanbase that the team should be rebuilding since midway through last season but ownership like usual is living in a fantasy.

Back