News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Calgary Flames Official Thread

It's hard but you have to give the team a long leash to start the year. At times they'll look good (see period 1 and 2 on Saturday) and other times they'll give up 5 in a period (see period 3 on Saturday). They should be who they are by the end of the month.

In today's world of high inflation where everything seemingly expensive, fans will be giving sports teams a short leash. Along with the Flames, most teams will have this issue. The Sharks, the Hawks and the Ducks have been mostly competitive for two decades, but a few short of years of mediocre hockey, and the fans are disappearing. Even in Canada it's happened with Winnipeg and Calgary.

Given Winnipeg's situation, of fervent fan support after gaining a team back, being in a Canadian city, and being competitive most years, you'd expect them to be sold out all the time but attendance dropped the first sign they weren't competitive. True North Sports & Entertainment even launched a season ticket drive in April called “Forever Winnipeg.”

From their campaign
“So long as fans are in Canada Life Centre cheering on their team, the Winnipeg Jets will be in Winnipeg forever,” True North said in a press release. A promotional video for the campaign went so far as to ask the question “Is Winnipeg an NHL city?”

Fans have always come out more when their team is winning, or come out less when their team is faltering, but the changes are more pronounced lately. Outside of a few markets like Toronto, NYR, Montreal, teams that don't perform on ice will see tickets drop quickly. It's just way too expensive to go watch a losing team.

Thing is, I wouldn't actually say the team sucks, it's that there's nothing to get excited about. Even if they win, was it exciting to watch? In my experience, watching maybe half the games this year, I haven't been excited and thought I had to tune in the next game. I actually don't plan to make time for a game for a bit, if it's on and I'm not doing anything maybe I'll tune in but they're not appointment viewing.

Going into the year I was anticipating they'd be better and more entertaining, granted it is early but I think they are who they are. It's really too bad because I think people were willing to give them a chance. I'm sure there are sleepless nights for the Management and Coaching staff, as there should be, they've got some work to do... And I don't think they should be handing out any contracts.

The Flames were absolutely brutal tonight and now we're facing 1-5-1 Oilers in the Heritage Classic! The battle of the Losers! At least if we do have a terrible season it might finally convince ownership that it's time for a rebuild. Especially now that the team's lack of star players and poor on ice performance is starting to hurt the team financially.

I'm usually a wait and see kinda guy, 10-15 games before I get critical. This team is going nowhere, 100% time to blow it up and start over. Flames should hold off on all contract talks and have a fire sale at the trade deadline. Such a heartless and uninspired group, that was a brutal game to watch.

I'm usually a wait and see kinda guy, 10-15 games before I get critical. This team is going nowhere, 100% time to blow it up and start over. Flames should hold off on all contract talks and have a fire sale at the trade deadline. Such a heartless and uninspired group, that was a brutal game to watch.
Yep, I think it's that time for sure. I felt that way after last season, but was willing to give it another season to see how things went, but things are worse than before. Basically it feels like any chance of a surprise comeback season are done.

Yep, I think it's that time for sure. I felt that way after last season, but was willing to give it another season to see how things went, but things are worse than before. Basically it feels like any chance of a surprise comeback season are done.
The worst part is even if you want change, the UFAs haven't been the problem, the problem is the guys who are here for awhile. Kadri looks fat and happy after getting his cup and getting paid. He does engage and you could see on the broadcast last night him talking to Coronato, but he was best when he burned and when he had an enemy. Huberdeau caught lightning in a bottle the season before the trade and Florida traded the Flames the equivalent of magic beans.

Its such a sad situation, not only do I feel for Adam Johnson, his family and everyone at the rink that day, but as well as they player on the other end of the collision Matt Petgrave. I can only imagine what he's feeling, especially with the amount of people on social media calling it intentional, and calling for him to be arrested for murder.

Anyone who's played hockey knows how fast the game is and knows that this was in no way intentional.

I hope to see a neckgaurd mandate from the NHL or even from team in the coming days, especially with how non invasive they are now.

Back