News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Calgary Flames Official Thread

If they can win against Seattle and Winnipeg, it'll be a perfect homestand. I was worried coming into this, as they didn't have a great home record, but I think part of that was they were on the road so much earlier. Most of their home games were these short one or two games stints at home and then back on the road again.

The team is really balanced right now: best line in league, solid 3 d lines (all contributing offense), depth scoring, good goaltending and one of if not the toughest team in the league. That last point is really starting to bear fruit and seeing how it impacts other teams playing us (I was at the Leafs game and I think our physical play was one of the main reasons we won)

That's just it. I want to be thrilled, but I'm used to being let down lol.
I don;t want to be a downer, but it's hard getting optimistic about the Flames. Since 2004, they've exited the first round of the playoffs 7 of the 8 times they've been in the playoffs. 2020 was a bit different as they won against the Jets, but technically were knocked out in the first round, so really it's 8 of the last 9 times. If you go back all the way to 1990, they have exited in the first round 14 of the last 16 times they've been in the playoffs, which is pretty sad really. Makes it hard to get excited.

Still I can't help but enjoy the way they've played this season, and the law of averages is that they'll get some breaks in the playoffs at some point, so there's always hope.

They gutted one out. Not exactly a high paced exciting game but they played well for the most part and won a close game.
Winnipeg record isn’t great but they play in a very tough division so I think they are a better team than a record indicates. It was a good win by the Flames today. They played a patient, defensive playoff type game and it paid off.

....... and when asked about the teams' 10 game win streak, Darryl Sutter said (in his monotone style) 'it does not mean anything unless it is 10 straight wins in the playoffs'. In a way that is true but also finishing first in the division will determine who The Flames face in the playoffs.
Sutter's public persona can be boring and mundane most of the time but there is no question, his message about playing hard is getting through to the players. I just wish once and awhile he would smile and say 'I am really impressed with the way this team is playing right now" but I know ..... it is not his style

I also think Sutter is trying to guard against complacency going into the playoffs which is something that has dogged good Flames teams in the past. I also get the sense that winning a Cup with the Flames is deeply personal for Sutter, so he doesn't have a whole lot of time for feel good stories that don't involve winning the last game of the season.

I would hope he at least delivers that message in private to the players/team. I am not a huge hockey fan, and maybe it doesn't apply to professional athletes, but if you are killing it at work, and your boss doesn't recognize that, it can impact morale and motivation.

Back