Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I'd like to see the Flames show they can control the traffic in the 20 feet in front of the crease before I trust them with the traffic around the arena.

I think the City should cordially invite CSEC to choose between either the deal that they made and signed; or choose to buy all the land they want, hire the project manager they want and set up the traffic however they want with their own money in their own location -- like any other half-billion dollar foreign-owned business would be expected to do.

by one mechanism or another the City is eventually made whole for any additional monies
Nah. The expectation that there is money to be made whole with is what stalled the arena for years before the deal was signed. Best to think of an arena as costing $600 million to build but worth only $300 million the day it opens.

Another question I have about all this is they want more space for what? how big is this arena going to be? If CSEC want to be in the development business, then fucking buy land and develop it, stop trying to get the city to gift it to you!!!

CSEC and the City can talk about money... but my expectation would be that by one mechanism or another the City is eventually made whole for any additional monies. The other three are simply out of the question... streets are public realm if CSEC wants to close them down they can get a permit like anyone else, that the City owned CMLC heads ensures that the City owned building will accomplish what the City requires, and turning more land into non-rate paying property is similarly bad (remember when "tax uplift was used as a financial justification). I swear it's like they're trying to turn it into another arena surrounded by an ocean of parking stalls.

I would definitely bet that CSEC wants more premium parking and some traffic management to get cars in/out of the area, while CMLC wants a transit-oriented design with less parking and more priority on foot traffic to and from the Green and Red line stations.

Nah. The expectation that there is money to be made whole with is what stalled the arena for years before the deal was signed. Best to think of an arena as costing $600 million to build but worth only $300 million the day it opens.
Well they shouldn't get something for nothing. Frankly they should offer up 70M worth of equity with valuation determined by a 3rd party. With their valuation sure to rise with a new building it wouldn't actually cost them anything in terms of present money. Then they can buy back shares over time if they want to consolidate ownership again.

Back