Votes: 11 21.6%
  • 3 So So

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • 4 Not Good

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • 5 Terrible

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
The little cafe is historical, though not on the same spot. I do know what YYCguy means though, those three restaurants (Barley Mill, the Cafe, and Joey's) and the water park (in the summer) are pretty much the life of Eau Claire. It's too bad they couldn't just redo the Market building, extend third street through to Barclay Parade, develop the parking lot and leave the rest as is.

The little cafe is historical, though not on the same spot. I do know what YYCguy means though, those three restaurants (Barley Mill, the Cafe, and Joey's) and the water park (in the summer) are pretty much the life of Eau Claire. It's too bad they couldn't just redo the Market building, extend third street through to Barclay Parade, develop the parking lot and leave the rest as is.

Dead right. I think most people here agree that by doing that, they could have come up with a far superiorr plan for the area. By just building shiny new high rises with retail at the base, there is absolutely no guarantee that it will be successful.

Hi Group,
What Happens to that Eau Claire Wood Bldg? is it part of the Project's Long Term?
Tnx,
Operater,

Hi Group,
There was an Article about this Project in Either In the Herald or the CREB News Paper a Short While Back. It Escapes Me Off Hand. I would Like to Follow It More but come away Feeling I'm Missing Something. Woops.
Tnx.
Operater.

^Dp now submitted for phase 1 and some other news on GG's other projects:

"Now that land use has been approved for the Eau Claire Market site, Gibbs Gage has applied for a development permit for Phase 1 of a project that will include a residential apartment tower, a hotel and condos, and a podium designed with a theatre, retail and restaurants.

Three more towers in a residential complex have been designed for Bentall Kennedy on 13th Avenue S.W., and the firm was selected to design the high school and recreational centre for the new community of Seton."

http://calgaryherald.com/business/local-business/parker-gibbs-gage-adds-new-partners

Hi Group,
I saw the Article in the Herald about Gibbs Gage by David Parker a Short While Back.Very well written, Anyone Know where they are Located in Calgary? They used to B in the Burns Bldg last I Heard, Years Back.
Tnx,
Operater.

Hi Again,
I Know about the Bentall Kennedy Project on 13th Ave by Centre Street. Haven't heard much about It. Any Details Yet?
Tnx,
Operater.

I like it on the street level, overall I think this is a great addition. I hope phase 1 goes forward.

Personally, I wish we had a bit better grocery-tech. Calling a grocery store with a parking lot a win seems half a step in the wrong direction. I guess it is right decision for the times we are in. With all the data available on personal grocery transactions, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to turn grocery stores into mini warehouse pick-up locations.

Hi Group,
I saw the Article in the Herald about Gibbs Gage by David Parker a Short While Back.Very well written, Anyone Know where they are Located in Calgary? They used to B in the Burns Bldg last I Heard, Years Back.
Tnx,
Operater.
You know you can google that kind of stuff...

I like it on the street level, overall I think this is a great addition. I hope phase 1 goes forward.

Personally, I wish we had a bit better grocery-tech. Calling a grocery store with a parking lot a win seems half a step in the wrong direction. I guess it is right decision for the times we are in. With all the data available on personal grocery transactions, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to turn grocery stores into mini warehouse pick-up locations.
As demand for that service increases, warehouses will pop up to support the demand. I will likely always be one of those people who stops by the grocery store on my way home to grab a few things, then uses Costco for a big purchases once a month or so.

I hope something happens for Eau Claire soon though, this redevelopment has been on the horizon for about 10 years now, and that shitty mall is getting even shittier as a result.

I would rather see the market done as a collection of smaller buildings done by various developers around a main market building. That said, this is still much better than what's there now.

@Habanero yeah... do you know of a city that has been able to enforce / effectively encourage that? Projects like West Village Towers for example... big improvement but mega block developments have a resort-like mentality - amenities look cool in renders but are pretty much islands to themselves. In Calgary, it works if Calgary owns the land EV / WV and can chop out and slowly parcel out the lots, but this isn't the reality for a majority of downtown area lands.

@Habanero yeah... do you know of a city that has been able to enforce / effectively encourage that? Projects like West Village Towers for example... big improvement but mega block developments have a resort-like mentality - amenities look cool in renders but are pretty much islands to themselves. In Calgary, it works if Calgary owns the land EV / WV and can chop out and slowly parcel out the lots, but this isn't the reality for a majority of downtown area lands.
Yeah, it's tough to divide up that land into small parcels once they've been amalgamated into one, but I agree, multiple smaller parcels would make a more organic type development. I'm not a fan of the mega block developments either.

Perhaps an ignorant question ... lowkey forgot this project existed for a bit lol ... Is this still going forward in its current state?
I'm with you guys. I'd rather they take their time and build something worthwhile. I wouldn't mind these towers if there were 1-2 of them, but there's way more than that, all similarly designed, and they're not stellar enough where i'd want a large portion of the skyline to be dominated by this and only this.

Back