Currie | 87m | 30s | CLC | DIALOG

New member here, thought I'd drop in. :)

Permanence of rails shows a commitment to transit? More TOD? Not sure, a bus line would be considerably cheaper than light rail. I would love to see a streetcar in Calgary though!
Welcome aboard Spudski. :)

Hey, I agree with you on the whole streetcar thing. I figured a bus would be a lot cheaper, but I'm no expert.

Permanence of rails shows a commitment to transit? More TOD? Not sure, a bus line would be considerably cheaper than light rail. I would love to see a streetcar in Calgary though!
Welcome to SRC Spudski.

Wow, that's a good large oversight. The streetcar would be similar I guess.

Out of curiosity why aren't they simply doing a bus route instead of streetcar? wouldn't that be a lot cheaper?

So far as I know, the street car is only a proposal. A bus is probably what they'll do at least in the intermediate term.

Personally, I'm most in favour of a C-Train. I think it could kick off a very handy loop line which could connect the MRU, MRC, Foothills, Rocky View, Currie and Chinook along the south and west, 16th Ave along the North and the probably through the industrial areas to the east. I don't know if that sort of thing on anyone's in power's radar for the next 50 years. Especially with the revelation that the necessary infrastructure at Westbrook station was some how overlooked despite being in the plan.

So with a train out for the foreseeable future I prefer a street car. I suppose that functionally a bus is probably just as capable while being more cost effective so I would receive such news with a shrug of benign acceptance. I feel like the street car option has greater presence. Quite plainly, it's sexier. There was once a time when street cars were common sights in the city, but these days it feels like a pretty foreign concept. It would be something new and more perminant and might provide a little life to a pretty staid area of the city.

So the existing route 306 is the same as the proposed streetcar route? The idea of having a streetcar route is for more permanency then?

screen-shot-2016-11-08-at-5-38-39-pm-0.png
Image3.jpg

Attachments

• screen-shot-2016-11-08-at-5-38-39-pm-0.png
    screen-shot-2016-11-08-at-5-38-39-pm-0.png
    419.3 KB · Views: 655
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 721
Not sure what the benefits of the streetcar would be (I haven't looked into this too much myself to be honest). I guess we can wait for the report to come out.
On top of the 306, you can also use the circle routes, 72/73 to travel the same route. More frequent than the 306, but more stops in between:
http://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/route/072_sept_2014.pdf

Welcome aboard Spudski! Personally, I like the idea of the streetcar if anything, for the permanency of the route. I still wonder about the cost though I don't see how a streetcar line could be almost the same price as the bus line, unless I'm missing something.

$35 million for the overpass? (thanks for sharing the video) What would be the cost of a connection to Westbrook (LRT above ground) $50m / km? $200 million?

Fingers crossed they follow through the 2.25 acres as part of the greater vision/master plan proposed for Currie instead of trying to out smart Calgarians like Macto did in Westbrook.

Back