Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Okay

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not Great

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
It might seem silly to have an ARP only to make changes, but really the ARP should be more of a guideline with some flexibility to change it on a case by case basis. If the ARP calls for 4 to 6 stories then I don’t think it’s unreasonable for somebody to ask for 6 to 8 for example.
Yeah I don't really get it, ultimately the Land Use Bylaw should dictate what can be done and where, and at what density. An ARP should be a guide to the type of development in an area, but shouldn't be the defining document.

Was Treo over the height limit when it was built? The current height allowed there could be where they got a revised land use.
Treo was built before the current ARP was in place. I am not sure what the policy context for it was, however I do recall it's height being raised as a concern for the Marda Loop ARP when it was being prepared. Residents were worried about the constant shadow on 33rd Ave it cast, leaving a cold, uninviting street. Fair point. Hence why very little else in the ARP was allowed to go to 6 storeys.

However, since the ARP was passed, we have seen Strategic get approval at 6 storeys for the SW corner 34th and 20th street, although I don't think that parcel was actually governed by the Marda Loop ARP now that I think about it.

Is 6 storey's acceptable for Courtyard 33, given that it is on the north side of 33rd Ave, and won't cast a shadow on the street? Maybe, however if you ask the homeowners to the north, they will probably say no.

Astraya, it is quite clear you are not in favour of this development. I am going to give you some advice from someone who is involved in the development industry. Your best bet at stopping this development from occurring is to convince City Council not to vote in favour of their land use application and ARP amendment. Talking on an internet forum will do you no good, unless you enjoy it and are here for pleasure like most of us are. Official information on the actual application can be found here:
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/LOC2017-0391
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2018-0091

Watch those links for ways you can submit comments to the City planner reviewing the file, and for dates when you can speak before council at the public hearing(for the land use application).

As someone who has watched countless public hearings, your best bet will be to convince Council that approving this new set of rules will have a greater negative impact on the community than a positive impact. The stickiest issue will probably be the height. Water tables, utility capacity, etc.. are all technical challenges that can easily be overcome through a good design and an investment from the developer, something that will be a requirement of any building design/approval. Traffic could be considered an impact, but given that the building will be accessed via the lane, and the cut-through traffic restrictor on 22nd street is being re-located to be just north of the lane, it will be difficult to demonstrate how the greater community will be impacted, other than increased congestion on 33rd (ie, someones home on 30th avenue for example is likely to see no difference in traffic because of this building). Further to this, RNDSQR has hired a professional transportation engineering firm, to complete a transportation impact assessment, outlining what impacts the project will have on the local network. They have even made that report available to the public for review: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...4ba1e56e/1513637973825/17.12.17+TIA_Final.pdf
You can disagree with the findings of that report, but when you say to Council you disagree with them, you will need to justify why your opinion is more valid than the professional engineers who prepared the report on behalf of RNDSQR, or more valid than the professional engineers who reviewed the report on behalf of City Administration.

For the height thing, it seems to be more subjective (at least to me). Again though, RNDSQR has provided their rationale as to why the height should be 6 storeys, see page 17 of their "Vision Brief 4.0": https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jN-g4rxAYaa7q2dSqcw6zMhfS3OK9etM/view

Review that rationale, find reasons you feel it is not accurate, or areas it misses, and prepare a presentation to Council. If you can't make it to the public hearing, which is fair as not everyone can take the day off work to be there, send it in written form to Councillor Wooley, whose contact information can be found here:
http://www.calgary.ca/CityCouncil/ward-8/Pages/WardDefault.aspx

At the end of the day this is the best you can do within the legal process we live under. If Council votes in a way you don't agree with, well, that's life. The same response would be put to RNDSQR if Council rejects their application. Welcome to the joy of living in a democracy. I can understand the frustration of residents who bought along the north side of the alley behind this project (and others along 33rd). Especially those who bought pre-ARP. However, land use planning and city building is constantly a moving target, and things will inevitably change. Council's responsibility is to shepard and guide that change in a way that provides the greatest overall benefit to Calgary, while minimizing the impacts on the immediate neighbourds. Not an easy task.

I will submit as I have continuously that your biases apply in favour of your Long Term Forum Members who have been established and have admitted to be Pro-Development. You absolutely and positively don't encourage any views that vary from your Pro-Development stance. It really doesn't matter to me that you can't see how your members have been adversarial. I have absolutely not belittled anyone's information or opinions. I have only been defensive. If you're able to be objective, I suggest you read over again in the frame of mind of someone who is a stakeholder in this project and not just mouthing off.
My advice is similar to that of Urban Warrior's advice. Try not to be so adversarial. Yes, most of us are probably more on the pro-development side, but it doesn't mean we automatically support every proposal. Most of us like this proposal, but if there's some reason not to like it, let everyone know.

Many of us just want to know what the issue is. You have complained that the developer didn't consult the community enough, which might be the case...I don't know, that's something the developer and the community need to sort out. I just want to know what issue with the project is?

Yeah I don't really get it, ultimately the Land Use Bylaw should dictate what can be done and where, and at what density. An ARP should be a guide to the type of development in an area, but shouldn't be the defining document.
As stated earlier in response to Science & Mortion, if it is statutory policy, the ARP is the defining document. This is per the rules as set out in the Municipal Government Act. The City should ensure that the land use bylaw districts align with the policy, however that is something Calgary struggles with in many ARPs/ASPs.

I could not have orchestrated a less inviting venue to express more concerns. It's downright offensive and no one seems to recognize how they are behaving offensive. If this represents how Pro-Development people act, it really explains a lot. Wow!

Can you just answer the question? He asked a very simple question... what issues do you have with the development? I'm not stating an opinion here, I'm simply curious... you've said two things:
1) Underground water - can be resolved as it is an engineering issue
2) The height

Is there any other legitimate issue that you have with this building?

Let it be noted that "Mountain Man" participates in far more offensive Forums than this. Something to be proud of for sure.

Guys. I suggest to no longer respond to this guy should he show up again. All he has done is attack forumers since posting his concerns 10 posts ago. There's no discussion with him.

I will submit as I have continuously that your biases apply in favour of your Long Term Forum Members who have been established and have admitted to be Pro-Development. You absolutely and positively don't encourage any views that vary from your Pro-Development stance. It really doesn't matter to me that you can't see how your members have been adversarial. I have absolutely not belittled anyone's information or opinions. I have only been defensive. If you're able to be objective, I suggest you read over again in the frame of mind of someone who is a stakeholder in this project and not just mouthing off.

Lol, no dude, I have no allegiance to anyone here except for sort of a acquaintanceship/friendship with SurrealPlaces. I was reading everything objectively, which is why I responded in the diplomatic manner that I did.

Hi Guys,

Its unfortunate to see the direction this thread has turned into. By no means do I or anyone at RNDSQR encourage name calling or any negative feelings that discourage the right to engage and be informed. Since your post I have been working with both all consultants to dig in deeper into the issue of ground water. When the Geo Tech was conducted it was originally done for only 1 level of underground parking and although ground water was mentioned none of the consultants (civil, structural, architect and construction manager) were concerned. These comments have us going back to site to do deeper testing at level of p2 so thank you astraya for bringing this up. I know you mentioned it was brought up in September and I apologize that we missed this. our bad.

We also are prepping sharing both GEO tech and Environmental with you. Thanks so much for your valued feedback and look forward to our continued engagement.

To counter someone who is vehemently against Courtyard 33, I have signed up to show my complete support for the project.

As someone who moved to Altadore a few years ago to find a balance between an urban and suburban neighbourhood, Courtyard 33 is exactly the type of development I want to see popping up. This development, along with others in the area (Avenue 33, Infinity and Marda) are the perfect fit for 33rd and 34th Avenue. The only downside of these projects that I can see is that the Original Joe's on 34th will lose evening sun on their West-facing patio.

Also, unless there is another Alkarim Devani out there, I think I went to high school with him.

Thanks for weighing in on this @shermanator . It's nice to get feedback from people in the community, whether in support or against. Glad to hear of people's support. What's the general mood of the community on this one? I'm just curious, because, it seems like a very nice project. I'm not sure why anyone would be opposed to it.

To counter someone who is vehemently against Courtyard 33, I have signed up to show my complete support for the project.

As someone who moved to Altadore a few years ago to find a balance between an urban and suburban neighbourhood, Courtyard 33 is exactly the type of development I want to see popping up. This development, along with others in the area (Avenue 33, Infinity and Marda) are the perfect fit for 33rd and 34th Avenue. The only downside of these projects that I can see is that the Original Joe's on 34th will lose evening sun on their West-facing patio.

Also, unless there is another Alkarim Devani out there, I think I went to high school with him.

Hey Shermanator,

Your support for this project is refreshing. I am the only Alkarim Devani I know lol.

Back