Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Okay

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Not Great

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Terrible

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
The ARP is as binding and as enforceable as City Administration and City Council want it to be, and you're right, it is frustrating when these planning policy documents are put in place and then ignored. I am not convinced that the situation will be any different with these new district Local Area Plans that the City has begun to develop. Time will tell.
It's best to think of ARPs not as laws that must be followed to the letter, but rather as a formalized set of community expectations that provide part of the framework for negotiations around individual development projects. Shaping the terms of debate is important.

It's best to think of ARPs not as laws that must be followed to the letter, but rather as a formalized set of community expectations that provide part of the framework for negotiations around individual development projects. Shaping the terms of debate is important.
Huh -- here I was thinking that ARPs were viewed by the development community as a formalized set of community expectations that provide the starting point for negotiations around individual development projects -- particularly regarding issues such as maximum height and FAR. :)

ARPs are a guideline, nothing more. The Land Use Bylaw is what needs to be followed. I'm not sure if the recommendations of an ARP ever make it into the next bylaw, think the current version is 2007.

ARPs are statutory (ie, mandatory) council approved documents, usually through bylaw. However, there does seem to be a high use of "may" instead of "must" in them, and "should" instead of "shall".
Yeah, they do seem to be more of a guideline. There are pros and cons to the 'guideline' approach. A pro for me is that each development gets looked at individually.

The rainy day look.

82CD594D-540A-4547-B684-F2CD20326E20.jpeg
4989F84B-F702-4995-92AE-AED50A990327.jpeg
E478B64E-AA1B-4752-AE16-EAC4C7047874.jpeg
A03B2D54-2603-4933-894E-4509A4C8FC4D.jpeg
CE622AF0-A8D0-4701-A889-D141C1F99CEE.jpeg
A90C4A96-DF8A-452A-B86B-E2E69C3135A4.jpeg
ECB66C0D-6B17-44A3-AF14-5A8B7B586DE3.jpeg

I feel that if they took away the panels covering the courtyard entrance it would brighten up the entrance immensely, and the metal catwalk and stairs would give a bit of extra character and detail to the building.
If the paneling covering the courtyard entrance was recessed by 1' that would also make a difference. It would highlight the entrance to the courtyard.

The more I look at this building, the more I think one simple change could make a difference, and it's something that can be changed later at some point. Change the balcony railings to be either glass or metal bars style. Either one would double the size of the windows and change the entire look of the building. The building's okay, but it's so close to being a very cool building.

Are they going to finish those concrete columns in the front at all, at least paint them? Looks like he child of Edmonton’s library.
I see a 45 degree chamfer on the corners of the concrete columns, and that is done on areas where the concrete will be exposed (reduces chipping if something hits the concrete) so I would guess that they will be painted.

Back