Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
I honestly agree. They should have gone with Elms in the redo of 17th as well. Hopefully they do it for the redo of 8th Street and Stephen Ave. Lots in Olympic Plaza too! Oh and the 17th Extension into Stampede Park! Oh oh and…!

Elm Scale is a problem in Calgary, that's why they are moving to different tree species. Agree Elms are the nicest trees, but they are more prone to disease. With a changing climate, I expect more tree species to be able to survive here, maybe a bunch of Maples outside the Dome, they can turn Flames red every fall for the start of the season haha.

I wonder if the city will use the seeds from the tree for landscaping around the arena. Elms aren't used much in the city these days, Bur Oak and Green Ash seem to be the preferred street trees.

Where I live (Auburn Bay) there are tons of elms. They do quite well here but are sad and underwatered along 52nd street going past Copperfield and Mackenzie Towne.

Elm Scale is a problem in Calgary, that's why they are moving to different tree species. Agree Elms are the nicest trees, but they are more prone to disease. With a changing climate, I expect more tree species to be able to survive here, maybe a bunch of Maples outside the Dome, they can turn Flames red every fall for the start of the season haha.
more prone to disease, and they tend to be too bulky for urban streetscapes. Neighborhoods are fine, but when your talking closer commercial setbacks with patios and trying to program open spaces, you're looking for more vertical growth as opposed to horizontal

It isn't a big deal but I did notice today that there is a pretty decent elevation gain going northwest from the southeast corner of 5th Street SE. I know they're reworking the road network, as I saw them working on what will be 5A Street SE, so perhaps they end up making the parcel flat. Either way, curious to see how they handle the elevation change.
Image (24).jpg

Last edited:
It isn't a big deal but I did notice today that there is a pretty decent elevation gain going northwest from the southeast corner of 5th Street SE. I know they're reworking the road network, as I saw them working on what will be 5A Street SE, so perhaps they end op making the parcel flat. Either way, curious to see how they handle the elevation change.
View attachment 555738
Landfill to get the sidewalks above flood level.
1712960130642.png

Last edited:
I would, I also would expect them to start on it before any major projects in the area. Most of Vic Park just has the main floor raised a couple feet to be above the flood plain, so I have my doubts. The other thing to consider is all utilities have to be above the flood plain level, so that would be all the mechanical, electrical, and the ice plan in this case. What I expect is basically to bathtub the whole thing so water can't get in, and to have many very large sumps working full time.

Is there a plan to raise the ground in Vic Park similar to what was done in East Village?
I'll claim ignorance...what did they raise in EV? Google earthed and everything seems "at grade"??
It isn't a big deal but I did notice today that there is a pretty decent elevation gain going northwest from the southeast corner of 5th Street SE. I know they're reworking the road network, as I saw them working on what will be 5A Street SE, so perhaps they end up making the parcel flat. Either way, curious to see how they handle the elevation change.
View attachment 555738
Interesting for sure. I could see them keeping that grade, with the SW plaza having some stairs near sidewalk...and an at-grade plaza in the NW. Otherwise a 24in concrete base around the perimeter, flood resistant double doors, and a collapsible barrier at the ramp...will do the job 95% (which is think is pretty good for a once in 30-50 yr event). This aside from all the other measures the city and province are doing or have done...i think it'll be fine without looking "obvious" design wise.

Keep in mind, the primary issue was the saddledome ramp in 2013, atleast from an arena standpoint.

They raised grade in large portions of the east village 1-2m to get above the flood plain. Look at current and past street views in the NE portion of the area, you can see it happening as part of the infrastructure and paving that was undertaken.
Gotcha! Does VP have a natural start/stop point for that though, like i dont think they have plans to tear up 11th, 12th, 13th, unless i've missed something

Back