Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
Forgive me for jumping back before the train convo (super interesting by the way!), but what on earth does "8 foot wood panels braced to lego blocks" on this drawing refer to?

Is 'lego block' a nickname for some construction material? There's no way they use actual Lego - although I guess that would explain the price tag of the building haha.

They're precast concrete blocks to support the hoarding panels. They can look like lego blocks because they sometimes have the bumps on the top.

Rogers Place is absolutely atrocious at street level. Outside of Oiler games, there is literally no reason to walk by the arena as there is zero street retail. If the Flames can properly activate the EC on 12th Ave and along Stampede Trail as is envisioned, it would automatically blow Roger's Place out of the water.
I agree - this was in reference to the scale discussion. Activation is a whole other issue. I would love to see some retail at grade, but in reality it will be really difficult to attract retail tenants to this area until the adjacent towers are built out and there's a critical mass of residents, etc.

I agree - this was in reference to the scale discussion. Activation is a whole other issue. I would love to see some retail at grade, but in reality it will be really difficult to attract retail tenants to this area until the adjacent towers are built out and there's a critical mass of residents, etc.
Agreed, that lot to the N of 12th and the Stampede hotel are the keys. BMO visitors also critical. I still think i would prefer the plaza on the NW corner to coincide with Green Line as well as potential new path of travel for people on Red Line…but i hazard to guess thats a CMLC thing driving foot traffic further south of 12th to vibe with BMO…”main street”

Something interesting to consider…the trend with these downtown projects seems to be activating streets with a neighborhood feel…vs a large “plaza” off a street (LA Live, EDM, WPG). Water street in Tampa, Battery in Atlanta, Milwaukee, St Louis Ballpark are more recent and great examples…much easier for casual people to discover as they are driving

Last edited:
My hotel wish list for the river district is minimum 2. A more luxury option for teams to stay in, and a more affordable option. One on the SW corner of 12th and Olympic, and another one somewhere alone 12th Ave north of event centre.

Also some things that I believe would bring a more sustainable vibrancy to the area includes a Cineplex, Rec Room (or Dave and Buster type place?), of course a good amount of decent restaurants and bars, etc.

If I had any redeemable skills I'd try to illustrate this better ill do my best to describe, but a pedestrian only walkway that splits the block directly north of the event centre lands and gives way to the future LRT station would be amazing, with a centralized plaza and whatnot. Maybe ill see if I can draw it up.

3D scanning the thing and planting seedlings seems pointless to me. The interesting and unique thing is the live tree.

I was hoping to read that the tree was going to die anyway, but apparently elms live for 200-250 years.

Ah well. That's just how it works here.
The tree is going to die anyway, there was a big crack in the tree and part of it was starting to die already. They looked at trying to dig it up and replant somewhere, but with the crack in it, the tree wouldn't have survived.

The tree is going to die anyway, there was a big crack in the tree and part of it was starting to die already. They looked at trying to dig it up and replant somewhere, but with the crack in it, the tree wouldn't have survived.
I found an article about that - https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-...stampede-grounds-won-t-be-relocated-1.5613807

It says the crack makes a move too risky, but not that it's in danger of dying if left undisturbed. But I don't doubt that you're correct.

I’ll prob sound like an asshole here, but that tree’s been in the middle of an asphalt lot for 15 years and has drawn zero attention to itself. If you bulldozed it in the middle of the night, I’d hazard to guess 99.9% of visitors wouldn’t notice or care. Bulldoze a small Forrest, let’s talk about it. A single elm tree? Cmon. Can’t believe anybody wasted resources mapping the thing, move on…

I’ll prob sound like an asshole here, but that tree’s been in the middle of an asphalt lot for 15 years and has drawn zero attention to itself. If you bulldozed it in the middle of the night, I’d hazard to guess 99.9% of visitors wouldn’t notice or care. Bulldoze a small Forrest, let’s talk about it. A single elm tree? Cmon. Can’t believe anybody wasted resources mapping the thing, move on…
I tend to agree. Funny enough - they seriously considered relocating the tree, but were told it would cost $1M.

Back