Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 90 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
I'm expecting a completely different looking arena this time, think they heard the outrage at the previous design!
Hoping you are correct. The previous design was remarkable for its boringness. For $300 million more, I'm hoping the design rivals some of the better North American arenas. Then again, the new arena is still cheaper than the new Islanders and Red Wings arenas, and the new Clippers arena is something like double the cost of the EC. It's crazy how expensive sports facilities are these days.

I have heard there are some really nice changes to the concourse and club areas too.
Was going to say, this basically confirms a major shift in lower bowl design, for the better. Main concourse is still at grade, but with a deeper event level, entry to the bowl is now at the top vs. 3/4 of the way with staurs.

I'm expecting a completely different looking arena this time, think they heard the outrage at the previous design!
Respectfully, the design last time was driven by significant space challenges, with a limited budget, that i would assume the partis didn't even love. With more space, and more budget....the design was always going to be different. I'd expect a little caesars in detroit type design

This looks to be quite different: Smaller SW plaza, looks to be a office space in the SE. Looks to be more emphasis on 12th Ave.
Yes, the underground loading dock has also shifted to the north off 12th, with the ramp beginning next to the parkade. zamboni end looks to then be on the west side. Curious how you determined the office space in SE? I assumed that was the practice facility...

Last edited:
Even with the space/budget challenges, the 1st round was thoroughly underwhelming. I mean even the people in the renderings looked bored. So with the bar set pretty low, chances are, whatever we get will be an improvement.

BUT... assuming the same parties are involved in this round, it probably means we shouldn't expect a massive design leap forward either.

I expect to be thoroughly whelmed. I'm a Flames fan after all.

I’ve never heard of a “Stripping and Grading” or “Shoring and Excavation” DP - these sound more like BP applications.
Oh well - anything to speed up the process I guess.

In the new Site Plan there doesn’t seem to be any exterior Plaza area - certainly not the size of the Red Lot anyway.

Speaking of the Red Lot - I propose they re-brand it “The Fire Pit”. 😄

It should be mentioned that the outline of the building on the pedestrian flow diagram doesn't match the the other pages. It also says right on it in fine print "layout subject to change." So the position of the plazas may be different from what it shows.

It should be mentioned that the outline of the building on the pedestrian flow diagram doesn't match the the other pages. It also says right on it in fine print "layout subject to change." So the position of the plazas may be different from what it shows.
In the new Site Plan there doesn’t seem to be any exterior Plaza area - certainly not the size of the Red Lot anyway.
Would ad that in no way was it ever going to be the size of the red lot, more of a "jurassic park" in TO size, plus an interior atrium. This is an excavation plan, and doesnt show exterior walls. Parts of the indoor/outdoor plaza will likely be at grade with dirt under, and parts will have space beneath it

Personally I'd rather have a cool indoor atrium/concourse, over an enlarged outdoor plaza. Yes, outdoor plazas are nice to have for summer events or decennial playoff celebrations, but if you think about the typical Flames game experience, 95% of the time it's cold as balls, and you just want to get inside.

Not sure about the outside, but my friend said to expect the inside to be a more modern version of a Little Caesar's arena in Detroit layout/vibe

now this one built more to fit detroit's aesthetic to fit with downtown, but just gives you a feel of what look inside especially seat layout

Hard to believe Edmonton's "new" arena will be 10-11 years old by the time Calgary's is open.

Inside as in the arena bowl? or the concourse?
arena bowl will be very similar unless huge last minute changes. concourse will follow a similar style but many of HOK's arena's follow similar course styles. Chase Center and Fiserv also have the same "concept" more or less.

not sure what the "plaza" or inside gathering space will be like tho. I think they'll have something revealed by May/June at least

Not sure about the outside, but my friend said to expect the inside to be a more modern version of a Little Caesar's arena in Detroit layout/vibe

now this one built more to fit detroit's aesthetic to fit with downtown, but just gives you a feel of what look inside especially seat layout
That's good to hear, I'm a big fan of Little Caesars

Back