Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
The Saddledome parkade is being retained in this most recent arena deal. I would much prefer they demolished and built a larger parkade in the same spot instead of having to include a new parkade in the event centre block. If you have land being used for a parkade already across the street from the event centre then why are we building a brand new parkade in land that can be better developed??
Remember they also will be using the former Saddledome site as more surface parking, in addition to maintaining the existing parkade and building some new parking for players. The net result of all this effort will be a net increase in land used for parking, not a decrease.

Remember they also will be using the former Saddledome site as more surface parking, in addition to maintaining the existing parkade and building some new parking for players. The net result of all this effort will be a net increase in land used for parking, not a decrease.
Yes there will be a net increase in parking. But I just don't know why we're building a new parkade across the street from the old one. They should instead just rebuild the Saddledome parkade closer to 14th Ave and connect it to the event centre via +15

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm just saying what the last design had. Two separate ramps, with two street interfaces, going in two different directions to physically separate facilities. Yes, they were near each other, and they probably will be near each other, but they do not have to be.
View attachment 513763
And further, I don't think that 100 rich assholes need in-building parking. They can park where the plebes park. And you can't swing a dead cat in the area without hitting parking. When the surface lots get developed, they can incorporate structured parking. I can't imagine a place within 5 km of downtown Calgary with as little need for new parking construction as the
Im not even sure what we’re debating, i get they are technically different things, but they work functionally well together because u cant do much above/around an ugly ramp, other than parking. It’s wasted air. U need close parking for players/staff/community rink/premium…literally every rink in an urban setting has this, why would this rink not. Every rink has an ugly-ish back of house side, may as well maximize its function.

I actually don't have a problem with any of this.

Keep the old parking structure, it is already there why spend what would most likely be public money to take it down. I am curious if it will be open to the public after the dome is down and everything is up and running in the new facility.

I agree with @Tothewest the ramp is required so why not put a parking structure over it. Fully understanding I will never park there as I'm not a player, executive, or have the net worth to frivolously give Murray Edwards the money required to get access to said parking. In all honesty heated, covered parking is probably a player perk the flames can sell as they try to keep/get players. (Note: People will be shocked at the player amenities that will be included in the Events Centre that we will pay for and never see let alone use.)

On another note: I hope they do tours of the facility, one of my great childhood memories is taking a tour of the Colorado Rockies baseball stadium when I was in Denver and Wrigley when I was in Chicago. When the teams on a road trip, opening up the locker room to tours would be cool and a nice touch. After all, it is a city owned facility.

They still give Saddledome tours if your interested. Not sure if they have tours during the regular season but they get a lot of tourists taking tours in the summer. I think there's a high likelihood there are tours of the new building. I hope they have an open house sort of thing like they did with the Dome when it first opened:

I'm not sceptical about development happening around Victoria Park. I'm just sceptical about it happening in a short timespan. East Village is still only about halfway done and it's been 16 years since they started. CMLC's plans for the area were too ambitious and they appear to be making that same mistake in Victoria Park.

I'm not sceptical about development happening around Victoria Park. I'm just sceptical about it happening in a short timespan. East Village is still only about halfway done and it's been 16 years since they started.

It's unfortunate Brad Lamb's "The Orchard" project was never built. It really would have kickstarted development in that area.

awfjojofwa.PNG

Last edited:
I'm not sceptical about development happening around Victoria Park. I'm just sceptical about it happening in a short timespan. East Village is still only about halfway done and it's been 16 years since they started. CMLC's plans for the area were too ambitious and they appear to be making that same mistake in Victoria Park.
Good point. I just feel Rivers is more a blank slate, versus EV which is being developed around existing, some of which is less than desireable.

I'll be the optimist, if the yellow areas can begin development within 3 years of EC shovels, i'd call that a win. Would love the stampede HQ to be part of a medium scale, 4-5 story commercial/retail development, for which they are a tennant. Or, even better, combine stampede HQ with an CSEC office development within the EC build, which frees up the old space entirely

trail.png

Last edited:
agree, a business center of any kind would be a boost to sustainable vibrancy. how ever slight it may be.
If the CSEC "office annex" is going in that unlabeled space between the indoor plaza and community rink (that's my guess, above box office area, with view of practice arena for hockey operations like in most team rinks), maybe Stampede HQ would relocate as part of overall agreement 🤞?? If it's in that NE corner development, zero chance

1682522192275.png

I think Stampede HQ was the original goal for that NE corner, CSEC was just unable to get confirmation that they would actually be moving into the space so they labeled it "Mixed Use".

With the combination of some offices, some residential, and the community rink in the area I think that some vibrancy should be maintained in the area.

Back