Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
Agreement mentions the Stampede... And looking at the post from @outoftheice I hope they move their office from the corner of what they're calling 14th Ave and Stampede Trail. On that note, as it stands Stampede Trail looks like a dud: A hotel, two mixed use buildings, the outdoor plaza and the Stampede offices.
This bigger arena should really go a half or full block further south tbh, Get rid of the stampede office and the parkade behind the dome. Add/move mixed-use to 12 Ave and make "13 Ave" pedestrian friendly for that side of the new rink with restos etc.

Imagine with HOK and Dialog still on the project they're going to cannibalize some of the design they already made. In particular the lower event level and main concourse will likely have similar design details. The exterior should get a complete redesign though after the negitive public opinion on the previous design.

I wouldn’t get too excited hoping for a re-design. I heard this John Bean guy from CSEC interviewed and he said something to the affect of “the design will largely build off what they have already done, the extra space will be used for the community rink”.

Kinda bugs me that the City is now responsible for all cost overruns whereas it was CESC in the previous deal.

Last edited:
Event Centre Renderings Leaked! /s

Arena Deal.png

From looking at the previous plans they could just flip it and rotate 90 degrees. That gives more room so the lower bowl doesn't need to be 2 tiered and the upper bowl doesn't need to be cut off at one end to fit the parkade. It would be essentially the same design just with more space to work with.

I hope it isn't very similar to the last renders as that arena looked quite a lot worse then the other arena's they have built in their portfolio. Chase Center and Fiserv are very very nice arenas and whatever we had was a huge down grade imo

There is no question the whole entertainment district and Stampede Trail is going to be a flop. It will obviously be better than what it is now, but if anyone thinks it's going to be some magical Disneyland Main Street, they will be disappointed. I have little hope that the new arena will deviate much in design from the original renders which will be the biggest disappointment. They should have ditched HOK and gone with Populous. At this point I don't even care anymore, just build it and lets move on.

There is no question the whole entertainment district and Stampede Trail is going to be a flop. It will obviously be better than what it is now, but if anyone thinks it's going to be some magical Disneyland Main Street, they will be disappointed. I have little hope that the new arena will deviate much in design from the original renders which will be the biggest disappointment. They should have ditched HOK and gone with Populous. At this point I don't even care anymore, just build it and lets move on.
Don't set the bar too high now.....

I wonder if this confirmation will mean we finally see progress on the Mathews Southwest hotel that is supposed to go in at the SW Corner of 12th Ave and Stampede Trail.

Don't set the bar too high now.....

I wonder if this confirmation will mean we finally see progress on the Mathews Southwest hotel that is supposed to go in at the SW Corner of 12th Ave and Stampede Trail.
surprised that with bmo expansion complete in less than a year this has not even had a sniff.

Firstly, long time reader, first time commenter. Sports-development-curious, i'd call myself. Welcome to me! I do support partnerships like this with private/public dollars, for the simple reason that if the flames did not exist we would want a facility for entertainment, events, stampede....void of a tenant we would be on the hook for the whole thing. What's done is done, now the fun starts!

Whether is Populous, HOK, Manica...imo general direction comes from the client, it's the budget/space that dictates creativity on the designer end. The fact NOTHING about this new proposal is similar to the last one in size, scope, or even physical direction (rink orientated E/W now), let alone we now have an indoor entry plaza, I feel good that the design will deviate from the last. Retail on the N/W/S sides, leads me to believe we may find some similarities to Little Caesars in Detroit?? Are the flames still including offices in the layout (previously fronting stampede trail), or is that now in the NE multi-use corner? Little things like that will alter layouts. Just axe that god-damn flat projection wall 🤮

I think flop is a strong word, i guess it would depend on ur expectation. NONE of that exists now, so if we end up with 3-4 restaurants, market, public plaza, hotel, 2-3 commercial/multifamily buildings in area...isn't that a win??

....can anyone provide any insight on why the design team, in this case, is/was split. Dialog more street/retail facing, multi-purpose aspects...then HOK of the sport side of it? Just a thing where everyone has their strengths, and this involving so many aspects beyond just an arena, that they divide and conquer?

....can anyone provide any insight on why the design team, in this case, is/was split. Dialog more street/retail facing, multi-purpose aspects...then HOK of the sport side of it? Just a thing where everyone has their strengths, and this involving so many aspects beyond just an arena, that they divide and conquer?
Dialog will act as the local, handling permits, local codes, and overseeing construction details etc.

What percentage of construction drawing and specifications that gets put on their plate, and how much HOK would do, not sure.

HOK, as subject-matter expert, will likely be responsible for all sports-related design, and DIALOG likely for urban design and integration, possibly assistance with some of the surrounding architecture, interiors, and of course, stamping the drawings. This is typically the case with large projects like these where a non-local 'starchitect' is involved. This is just my estimated guess; perhaps DIALOG gets more in this updated deal, who knows. I've seen/been part of enough of these types of partnerships to know that this is how it works. Definitely doesn't hurt that HOK has a Calgary studio as well.

Was really hoping we'd go back to the RFP stage, but oh well. Let's just say the interest in this one from the heavyweight design world was high. :)

Back