Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
HOK and Dialog are terrible. After looking through all their arenas I can’t say I like a single one. Populous is the much better choice and I hope they go with them. Praying for a complete redesign!
IIRC, Dialog was mainly just the local architect for the event centre. They can be hit and miss, but they were the architects behind the McKimmie Hall rebuild.

Wouldn’t selling the air rights overhead (say to a residential and/or a hotel developer) reduce costs and potentially help pay for this thing? If a city as bland as Ottawa can get such an incredible proposal for its new arena, we most certainly can as well. Especially in an area that the city is trying to densify/intensify. 🤦🏻‍♂️ such short sightedness here lately. Just frustrating because we were on such a roll outpacing Edm and Ott for like 20 years in development and quality, now we can’t get a single major project off the ground, and what we do get gets VE’d to death. Last good things were NMC and NCL.

Wouldn’t selling the air rights overhead (say to a residential and/or a hotel developer) reduce costs and potentially help pay for this thing? If a city as bland as Ottawa can get such an incredible proposal for its new arena, we most certainly can as well. Especially in an area that the city is trying to densify/intensify. 🤦🏻‍♂️ such short sightedness here lately. Just frustrating because we were on such a roll outpacing Edm and Ott for like 20 years in development and quality, now we can’t get a single major project off the ground, and what we do get gets VE’d to death. Last good things were NMC and NCL.
I like that idea. I bet RioCan made a lot more on their investment on selling the air rights to their project on 6th/3rd. I bet Superstore and the other retail tenants love having 500+ units above them too.
Even having a Hotel above the arena would be a bonus

The city will allow buildings of just about any height in downtown, Victoria park, and east village if you ask nicely so the value of “air rights” has to be close to zero

This is a great idea. There isn't demand for those air rights today, but there will be in the future once the area is developed.

My only knock against developing above the arena (sorry, event centre) is that it could take away demand from developing lots immediately adjacent to it. I wouldn’t be opposed to planning for a future where the air rights are sold though.

I love most of the stadiums Populous has been involved in (which are often retro in style). I also really like their arenas. My only knock on some of the arenas they’ve been involved in is that they are often standalone structures with very modern architecture (they have some exceptions to this), which is not to say I don’t like modern arenas and stadiums, but that just isn’t what I’m hoping/envisioning for the future of this arena, and the neighbourhood in general.

I really don’t want to see an overtly modern arena that ages quickly. Calgary has (or had in the 80’s) one of those.

My hope for the Calgary arena is that the exterior will have a more timeless feel that will contribute to the forward direction for any future neighbourhood. The area doesn’t really have any architecture for the arena to draw from, so my hope is that the arena will be that source of inspiration for future development in the area. But to do this, the arena can’t be too modern. It also can’t be too retro, because it doesn’t have anything to pay homage to (and arenas that try to be retro without context age as poorly or worse than their modern counterparts).

I think HOK was trying to Goldilocks its design, but they missed the mark. Here’s hoping there will be a new competitive process and the next team gets it just right!

Last edited:
This is a great idea. There isn't demand for those air rights today, but there will be in the future once the area is developed.
Exactly.

I found some more renderings, they honestly look better with the round and silver design.
Calgary+Event+Centre+Aerial+Day.jpg
Calgary+Event+Centre+Elevation+1.jpg
Calgary+Event+Centre+Elevation+2.jpg

It will be an actual embarrassment if this thing gets built. I’d wager that it would probably become the ugliest arena in the NHL, and that is saying something when you stack it up to the turds in Anaheim, Ottawa, Vancouver, etc.

Without being sensationalist, I think I would rather lose the Flames than build this shit box as it currently looks.

It will be an actual embarrassment if this thing gets built. I’d wager that it would probably become the ugliest arena in the NHL, and that is saying something when you stack it up to the turds in Anaheim, Ottawa, Vancouver, etc.

Without being sensationalist, I think I would rather lose the Flames than build this shit box as it currently looks.
"Without being a sensationalist" 🤔🤔

True story. I’ve long since given up my fandom of the Flames, I’m more of a casual and bandwagon fan now. If the city is going to contribute 50% to this project (which I have no problem with), than it better be something of quality that is a benefit to the community and enhances the public realm. An arena with a private parkade for players and owners, lack of community rink, hostile pedestrian interface on 3/4 of the facility, and visually unattractive is a no go from my point of view. If they are not going to do it right than don’t do it at all.

Back