Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
Changes I've noticed so far:
  • East side has huge glass area at ground level
  • Perforated metal now drops down at the SE end instead of slightly raised
  • East and north side has thin vertical windows in the metal paneled area
  • Glass at retail in center of the north side is now more open
  • New display window at very NW corner
  • Some type of window display on NW; east of the main entrance
  • New screening on parkade
  • Hieroglyphs on NE section
  • Upper metal panel above SW entrance no longer bends at the corner
  • Upper metal paneling is now vertical
  • South wall shows Flames banners
  • That mechanical screen fencing on the roof above the rest/retail is gone

August north wall
NorthAug.png

October north wall
NorthOct.png

August east wall
EastAug.png

October east wall
EastOct.png

• East side has huge glass area at ground level
  • East and north side has thin vertical windows in the metal paneled area
  • New screening on parkade
  • That mechanical screen fencing on the roof above the rest/retail is gone
I don't think so, just better integrated...

• East side has huge glass area at ground level - By far the biggest improvement to the design
  • East and north side has thin vertical windows in the metal paneled area - Probably a change that will be most noticeable from inside the building; will be nice to have more views from the concourse
  • New screening on parkade - Another big improvement
  • That mechanical screen fencing on the roof above the rest/retail is gone - I'm glad they made this change
Overall, the changes to the design are positive! The changes to the east side are by far the biggest improvement in my opinion. We've gone from 2 blank walls to one with these changes. I think I preferred the way the north wall looked in the previous renderings, but the changes made will be a big improvement to the pedestrian realm. I thought the west side was pretty good to begin with, so any improvements they make is sprinkles on top of the sundae as far as I'm concerned. I like that they removed the mechanical screen fencing, and the projection on the white paneling on the west side could be cool. The new screening on the parkade on the south side is also a big improvement.

I still don't get the incessant need to slap "Calgary Event Centre" and "CEC" all over the building, and am curious what it's going to look like when naming rights are sold and sponsorship logos are thrown on there.

I like the slight changes. However, I would like it much more if this dark overhang on the top of the west elevation was removed:
InkedCapture(1)_LI.jpg

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

I just think it's unnecessary. We could raise the exterior façade to cover whatever structure/mass is required. If removed from view it would make it a bit lighter, certainly more cohesive, and lend a touch of elegance we're craving.

Small nitpick of course, but that's what I would change.

I like the slight changes. However, I would like it much more if this dark overhang on the top of the west elevation was removed:
View attachment 359236
View attachment 359237
I just think it's unnecessary. We could raise the exterior façade to cover whatever structure/mass is required. If removed from view it would make it a bit lighter, certainly more cohesive, and lend a touch of elegance we're craving.

Small nitpick of course, but that's what I would change.
I had the same thought. I don't mind the way it looks in the renders where it is shown as being a lighter colour, although I don't think the lighter colour in those renderings is reflective of the actual colour of the overhang. I also like the way the overhang is lit up in the area with the fins.

1635541689587.png

Meah….I guess it is going to be what it’s going to be. I do like the changes they made and they definitely enhanced and improved the overall facility. I like that they incorporated more glass and the pedestrian streetscape has improved on almost all sides (the south still sucks with the parkade).

I don’t hate the arena anymore but I don’t love it. I guess with rising costs there was never any chance to get a showpiece arena. I do like the more traditional and classy look of the arena compared to Rogers up in Edmonton, but I’m still left wanting more. I think for me i would have preferred if it still had more glass and perhaps more exterior wood like the library. What it will all come down to is quality of materials and execution of the vision. The projection images along the white ribbon could be really cool or totally cheap and shitty. Time will tell.

I guess I should also be happy they have activated the west and north sides with retail and that the two most important streets are the most visually appealing. It could be worse, much worse (see Edmonton).

Familia, I agree with pretty much all of you detractions of the previous iteration and this probably isnt anyones best case scenario, but if this is the final version of the exterior it feels like a birdie on the last hole of a so so round, now lets go get a drink!

Back