Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
Cowtown brings up a good point. While young people (or people from other age groups) may not spend a lot of money consistently on these kinds of events, not having the option to see them can give people a bad perception of the city.

The concert thing is fairly big. I know quite a few people who complain about the lack of concerts and complain about the big names bypassing Calgary, even though they never used to go to concerts back when the Dome was on the regular circuit.

It is like how cities need opera, orchestra, a mainline theatre, a contemporary gallery, a historic gallery. For most people it isn't about consuming these things. It is about the idea of being able to consume these things, which brings comfort.

As for costs going up, inflation is the wrong number. GDP is. In 1998 Alberta's GDP was $100 billion. Now it is around $330 billion. With that growth, you'd expect cost growth for goods where demand outstrips supply to track pretty well, since the good's price wouldn't follow inflation, or even wage growth, but would at least track society's allocation of GDP for entertainment. Without accounting for less arena show nights over time, arena shows being more entertaining, facilities being more comfortable, and a higher population, all of which should lead to higher prices.

Last edited:
From the pictures I can see that it was a cool event, especially I like how everything is arranged, it can be seen that a team of professionals took care of the lights, technique, and arrangement
Is this meant for the Calgary event Centre (new arena) thread?

Also, welcome to the forum @DanteALG

Ugh, with the Green Line delay, along with this covid bullshit, it would suck if this project gets delayed to an unknown time for next year or beyond.

It would be nice to show signs for the city continuing to move forward during this hard time economically (and emotionally) by seeing multiple major civic projects under construction.

Last edited:
Always something....what about the BMO Centre? When does that kickstart? Demolition is fully complete of the Corral.

News must be fresh, my insider whose been feeding me with updates hasn't heard anything about bad news but they haven't been updated for around a week.

Apparently bad news coming down the pipe on this next week.
Leaving us hanging...? Not surprising that it could be delayed. Cost of construction has skyrocketed recently.

Flames fans to get another kick in the nuts next week.

Hopefully this is only a minor setback. Only two days ago, Ryan Pike on Twitter was asked about the progress of the arena and said this:

1617808803968.png

So I'm guessing either he didn't know about this "bad news" two days ago, (which would be strange - he's associated w/ the Flames and the arena) or it's something minor and their projected important dates will remain basically the same. Guess we'll find out.

I heard from someone from City Hall today that the event centre could be running close to $300 million over budget.

Yes, You heard that right, 300... Million... Dollars...

Edit: They did just admit that this is likely just a rumour.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back