Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
July 26? Wonder if that means the city may be fast tracking some of the permits. There will be a lot of utility work, plus realigning a street.

I think that old grocery store is either being moved or demolished. It's right under the parkade.
1682522192275.png

My proposal that no one has asked for: scrap the parkade (or at least build it across the road), expand the arena east so the grocery building is inside the concourse (think heritage buildings inside the Brookfield Place atrium in Toronto), and create an outdoor plaza on the east side of the building.

Will never happen because the Flames seem determined to have a parkade on site.

Love that idea.

If it is truly a lease, shouldn't the information be updated to reflect that? The media releases make it seem that the CSEC is contributing 38% to construction costs. (They aren't) The City's contributions to construction costs are $871 million and the CSEC is actually $40 million. After it is built the CSEC 'leases' the building from the City. Could you imagine a REIT replacing the city and agreeing to such a deal?

$871 million in a shitty investment getting 5% interest after 35 years is worth $4.8 billion or $17.7 billion at 9%. (The CSEC is paying $708 million over the course of the lease) I get that I am biased, but everyone is. You can't tell me that the primary finanical benfeciary to this deal isn't CSEC.

I get that governments clearly aren't in the business of making money, (unless you are Norway or Saudi Arabia) but the conversation should at least discuss what public value we put on spending money this way. If the public believe this is a good trade off and the majority vote accordingly....fantastic. We all had a say on the Olympic Bid. But I guarentee there will be no vote from the public on this deal.

Don't move it or try to reuse it in the arena structure. Just let it be. That's how to preserve heritage and add a little quirkiness to the urban layers. There's 400 metre tall pencils next to buildings not much bigger than this in Manhattan and it works!

Don't move it or try to reuse it in the arena structure. Just let it be. That's how to preserve heritage and add a little quirkiness to the urban layers. There's 400 metre tall pencils next to buildings not much bigger than this in Manhattan and it works!
It's in the way so it can't just be left alone. It's gonna have to be moved and reused elsewhere or demolished. I think because this land will be city owned and the building has a municipal heritage designation there's a good chance the building's facade will be retained and either reused in the new arena or put in storage (which the city has done plenty)

I maybe confused on the building. The one I'm thinking of is right on the corner of the block. It shouldn't be that hard to work around it.

Rebuilding facades and attaching original prewar facades onto modern structures or moving buildings off their original foundations to heritage districts is all well and good. It's recreating history like a blockbuster Holliywood set. It should never be considered preserving history. Preservation standards need to be as high as possible as it's always in a losing battle with development

Back