Brio | ?m | 12s | RioCan

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, crane is down now.

IMG_7610.JPG

It's probably the worst of all suburban towers in the city, actually.

Keep 'em coming. A Taller mid-rise, transit and university-adjacent, density, purpose-built rentals and pedestrian-oriented retail, what's not to like? Sure the site layout is weird, but it's hardly this development's fault given the disorganized and muddled TOD development that is happening here. It's getting there.

For a city that barely has any physical evidence that it's seriously interested in TOD - especially compared to the scale of ongoing suburban free-for-all expansion - it's more than a win. 100 more undergrad students will move out of their parent's basement in Tuscany or Lake Chapparal due to this development for generations to come. That's a start.

The architectural design is not to like. Ground floor retail with sidewalks is the minimum expectations for a project such as this. The city's failings at creating urban centres around transit for suburban communities is not a means to give this project a thumbs up for doing the bare minimum, in my opinion. Ugly adds to the suburban stereotype that apartments and higher densities are for cheap people that steal and pillage. It's not a promoter for more TOD developments. This could have looked so much better with a few minor tweaks too.

Fortunately this one is only 12 floors and next to more pleasing, taller towers

The architectural design is not to like. Ground floor retail with sidewalks is the minimum expectations for a project such as this. The city's failings at creating urban centres around transit for suburban communities is not a means to give this project a thumbs up for doing the bare minimum, in my opinion. Ugly adds to the suburban stereotype that apartments and higher densities are for cheap people that steal and pillage. It's not a promoter for more TOD developments. This could have looked so much better with a few minor tweaks too.

Fortunately this one is only 12 floors and next to more pleasing, taller towers

Nailed it. The taller towers will hopefully downplay this one. Unfortunately, the ground, retail level is terrible.
Also, looks like they missed the corner...

its a student dorm off crowchild. its easily less offensive than 8-10 of the most conspicuous condo towers in the city center.

its like the womens world cup, if its a win great, if you lose who cares (with apologies to anyone who does care).

no retail in a value building in a suburban shopping mall i get, one floor podiums in locations like one and 500 that will be here in 60yrs when the city center population is 500k baffles me.

Last edited:
I agree with @CBBarnett and @1875 it’s not great, but I don’t find it ugly and I find it a vast improvement over what was there. The retail is no worse than any of the other retail outlets in the area.

At the end of the day, if you asked me would I rather have the old parking lot, and wait for something architecturally nicer, or have this, I would easily choose this.

Thanks for the pics, the new Calgary jail is coming together, balcony railings and bars on the windows seem to be the only thing missing......

Reactions: AJX
its a student dorm off crowchild. its easily less offensive than 8-10 of the most conspicuous condo towers in the city center.

its like the womens world cup, if its a win great, if you lose who cares (with apologies to anyone who does care).

no retail in a value building in a suburban shopping mall i get, one floor podiums in locations like one and 500 that will be here in 60yrs when the city center population is 500k baffles me.

One reason to care about a student focused apartment building in nowhere suburbia is that the developer isn't restricted to building this one building. They can reproduce this over and over and in neighbourhoods closer to home. Another reason to look beyond improving suburbia with additional density and less surface parking.

Back