BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

And we’re literally famed for a rodeo and cowboy culture, yet we don’t have a single renowned piece of horse art? Weird.

The horseman sculpture in Central Memorial Park is actually pretty well renowned and it was also sculpted by famous French-Canadian sculptor Louise-Philippe Herbert. I'd also call "By the Banks of the Bow" in Stampede Park a positively received sculpture too.

Last edited:
Thinking long picture, I think the landscaping here is going to age very well, and it will improve the look of this thing year over year as the trees get bigger. It’s truly not *THAT* bad up close.

61F139AA-28AC-4D46-911F-58773B464722.jpeg
F13BB3CA-62F4-4BE1-85EB-2EFF1032900E.jpeg
57C780DB-FDF7-4E57-ADB7-FADBD1C7C88A.jpeg
0A232073-E335-41BC-A121-E53E73D9AEEF.jpeg
F3A19698-25F7-49FB-9FEA-186FB019A8F5.jpeg

Thinking long picture, I think the landscaping here is going to age very well, and it will improve the look of this thing year over year as the trees get bigger. It’s truly not *THAT* bad up close.

View attachment 519555View attachment 519556View attachment 519557View attachment 519558View attachment 519559
Wrong thread, but very relevant and important nonetheless! Renderings always look fastforwarded 10+ years with respect to landscaping, its the placement and assortment imo, that are important at opening day. With regards to the EC, i did like the retail/landscaping/lighting vibe we saw on 4th on V1, felt welcoming, will likely not see a regression in this space.

I did see a tweet from CSEC event employee, that they were given a sneak peak at the EC interior this wknd. Im not sure whether to be suprised or happy at that lol. My hope is they always had a plan A bowl done if budget allowed, but ended up pivoting to plan B when it got tight. Thus they just dusted off A 🤞🤞🤞🤞

That last picture is brutal!
So glad they did the 17th Ave extension... I'll give the previous building credit where it is due, it didn't have a backdoor that wasn't actually a backdoor. This angular wall sure makes it feel like this is the "back of house". Not how I'd like the building to feel on street extension that's a hundreds of millions dollar project in and of itself.

I never really understood the 17ave extension. Stampede grounds are private property, it's not like the bars were going to extend into the Stampede Grounds, this is event space and parking in the interim.

Best case scenario for this part of the building is to cover it with plants and hide as much of that ugly brick facade as possible!

So glad they did the 17th Ave extension... I'll give the previous building credit where it is due, it didn't have a backdoor that wasn't actually a backdoor. This angular wall sure makes it feel like this is the "back of house". Not how I'd like the building to feel on street extension that's a hundreds of millions dollar project in and of itself.
in fairness, there's a glass curtain wall mere feet to the right, and a corner to the left, with angled windows in the middle whihc u cant see. This is the purpose of certain types of landscaping, to make less visually appealing spaces...more appealing! and to break up what is a long piece of frontage...It really is a BIG building! in 5-6 years those trees, with some proper up-lighting, could make for a warm feel

Back