BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

Unfortunately I’m pretty sure the roof on that swooping canopy is going to black.

A new article from UT (Sister site to SRC) shows a structural model with cladding on the roof canopy

https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2023/0...-supports-calgarys-bmo-centre-expansion.51801

51801-155783.JPG

I'm still waiting for the final product to make my judgement, but I like the building for the most part. The materials may not look like the renderings, but the building is still much better than I would have ever expected for the Stampede grounds, and for the most part it will be a very noticeable building. Even with some shortcomings it'll be100 times better than the Milner Library.

To be honest I thought this building was a terrible design from the get-go, but the massing is proving to look slightly better than expected - at least from Scotsman's Hill.
Actually, there was a lot of consideration put into the Scotsman's hill view. You will notice there is no HVAC or mechanical on the roof. Take a look at the height of the building and remember it is only three floors. The mechanical is situated on publicly inaccessible half floors (between the public floors). Trust me when I say this thing will knock your socks off. I wish I could post pictures.

403808 are you affiliated with the project or working on it? If so, can you confirm that the copper cladding on the exterior that we already see on the north side will be the same material around the entire building? Or will they transition to something more metallic on the south side as the renderings suggested?

Not a single food/drink vendor, merchandise shop, or anything else is available at street level. Somewhere along the exterior (closer to 17th Ave) should have been a Stampede Souvenir shop, coffee shop, fast food joint, and perhaps a destination restaurant (like the old Cantina).
Retail on the south side doesn't make sense. There will be nowhere to park (unless you paid the Stampede $15 - which you wouldn't do to buy a coffee or souvenir). Pedestrian traffic could never support a business in that location. The festival/retail/restaurant strip is Stampede Trail.

403808 are you affiliated with the project or working on it?
No. I am neither affiliated with the project nor working on it (although I do have intimate knowledge about it). I never bothered to inquire about the exterior finishings. We won't have to wait long to find out though. By Stampede week the exterior will be complete (which is crazy considering it looked like a Mechano set last Stampede - and it only had 60% of the steel up).

For a second, I thought they were starting the exterior finish on the southwest corner, but I think it's some type of foil or wrap.

View attachment 466741
It's the Soprema AV barrier, subgirt and insulation to follow.
Flynn have started panels on the SW curvature and soffit but some issues with substrate and angles have meant correcting and even removing them.

Roof is meant to be a faux copper aluminum standing seam, there are rumors that there has been a colour change to black for the roof, but unconfirmed.

drove down macleod this afternoon while the sun was just right hitting the western concave side of the arm where the panelling is up. dont want to get anyone too excited but it looked better than than whats up on the flat surfaces of the back of the building. was driving so cant say for certain it was actually shinning or not but it looked like it was.

Last edited:
drove down macleod this afternoon while the sun was just right hitting the western concave side of the arm where the panelling is up. dont want to get anyone too excited but it looked better than than than whats up on the flat surfaces of the back of the building. was driving so cant say for certain it was actually shinning or not but it looked like it was.
I also caught a glimpse of it driving down McLeod and I had the same impression!

Back