BMO Centre Expansion | 25m | 5s | CMLC

Yea god forbit anyones uses their imagination or some critical thinking skills. So if one person interprets it as a water droplet, and someone else interprets it as a dragon, that bothers you? Does all abstract art bother you?
I believe there are lots of fun, imaginative, and interactive ways to use art and design build a sense of place, especially with spaces designed for out of town visitors, and with the advancements of lighting and LED. The orca outside Vancouver's CC, although static, is great....its funky, photogenic, and it says "Vancouver/West Coast/nature/ect"....you know where you are. The idea we went with "water" as the design inspiration outside the BMO, is kind of odd, imo.
800px-Digital_Orca_Vancouver.jpg

They should of just built an actual fountain or water feature. The Stampede grounds are as dry and dusty as you can get. Would it kill this city to build a few more water features? Imagine if this sculpture actually had water coming out from it and falling into a pool below it. Instant upgrade.

They should of just built an actual fountain or water feature. The Stampede grounds are as dry and dusty as you can get. Would it kill this city to build a few more water features? Imagine if this sculpture actually had water coming out from it and falling into a pool below it. Instant upgrade.
100000%
11225-EVERGY_PLAZA-19.jpg

Count me as part of the water feature crowd. Whether it would be a stand-alone fountain or incorporating water into this sculpture design, it would have been a massive upgrade. My two biggest concerns with the Olympic Plaza redesign is that we are going to lose the fountains and the skating rink for another big empty space with fancy pavers.

Driving up Macleod in to downtown the other day and noticed the lighting through the large windows on the south side. Looked like they simulate stars or something? Seemed pretty interesting in the short period I saw them.

In person, I didn't mind "the drop" at all. It isn't tall, but it will be quite wide as there are a lot pieces still yet to be mounted.
Image (25).jpg

On my walk through Stampede Park I noticed something as I was leaving... There is no overhead light standard to direct drivers into Stampede Park from 17th Ave. There is one for drivers exiting Stampede Park along 17th Ave and of course one for drivers going north on Macleod. Judging by this I think this section of 17th Ave will continue to be a one-way. Maybe drivers will be able to turn right into Stampede Park from northbound Macleod but I could see for traffic management purposes that they would make 17th Ave on the grounds a one-way to exit the ground on to 17th Ave as well. Just a guess but an educated guess.
Image (26).jpg

I hope they add a cool team store. I’ve been to the chase centre and the Golden State Warriors store was super modern and massive.

Back