BLVD Beltline | 118.87m | 37s | ONE Properties | Arquitectonica

Vancouver definitely has established its look, and the sheer amount of it is cementing that image as the 'Vancouver look'. I'm not a huge fan of the look when in mass like I am of a low rise look of Amsterdam or Brookyln, San Fran etc.. but it is a look. Personally I prefer the variety look so long as the variety is good quality....Calgary's still working on that aspect, but is getting better.

Vancouver is blander than bland, point tower after point tower in the 30 some story range with sea foam green spandrel. Melbourne and Chicago would be better inspiration.

I hope this design goes through.

Only the good stuff in Chicago and no thanks to Melbourne. I actually fear how future generations will look upon cities like Melbourne.

What don't you like about Melbourne's residential designs? Southbank gets a bit dystopian away from the river where the buildings crowd against freeway ramps, but nowhere near as bad as Southcore in Toronto. I'll post some pics later of designs in Docklands and near the Victoria markets that are awesome.

Many Melburians resent the glassy mega tower Pacific Rimification of the formerly Victorian sandstone low rise inner city. Personally, I commend the mix of old and new, other than some of the towers fronting barren streetscapes along freeway ramps. The execution is far better than that of Toronto or Vancouver with bolder and more varied design. The scale of inner city development continues to impress with the massive Docklands, South Wharf and Southbank precincts to be joined by Fisherman's Bend. Of course, Melbourne has a housing bubble of almost Vancouver like proportions so plans may not come to fruition.

Many Melburians resent the glassy mega tower Pacific Rimification of the formerly Victorian sandstone low rise inner city. Personally, I commend the mix of old Andy new, other than some of the towers fronting barren streetscapes along freeway ramps. The execution is far better than that of Toronto or Vancouver with bolder and more varied design. The scale of inner city development continues to impress with the massive Docklands, South Wharf and Southbank precincts to be joined by Fisherman's Bend. Of course, Melbourne has a housing bubble of almost Vancouver like proportions so plans may not come to fruition.

Thanks DougB. I get the brownfield/greyfield scale redevelopment at the outer edges is at a different scale from the centre city. It’s actually sad to see a city forget their lessons learned so quickly. Back to earlier posts....the tight grid was essential to the City’s re-evolution in the past 20 years

Count me in as a fan of Melbourne. I like the mix of buildings they have there and would take it over Vancouver without a second thought. Some of the newer buildings in Melbourne are a bit out there, and might not stand the test of time as Maestro alluded to, but overall I liked the look and feel of Melbourne's core.

I look to Melbourne as a quintessential North American city turned around for the better in the centre city beyond. Can you elaborate, maestro?

The tower designs are over the top and not in a good way. I doubt they will stand the test of time.

What don't you like about Melbourne's residential designs? Southbank gets a bit dystopian away from the river where the buildings crowd against freeway ramps, but nowhere near as bad as Southcore in Toronto. I'll post some pics later of designs in Docklands and near the Victoria markets that are awesome.

I would say the same for Toronto and Vancouver. I do find the average design better in these cities. They just use the cheapest materials.

This is the day for tenders. This is out now under the name of Curtis Block. Judging from the image on the cover, the tower on the NW corner of the property has been dropped or it is just not in the scope of Ph 1.

Back