BLVD Beltline | 118.87m | 37s | ONE Properties | Arquitectonica

You're suggesting citizens have their taxes used to buy extremely expensive and mostly developed private land to create new narrow jungled streets?

It's Nenshi's fault that the road layout is the way it is? You're about 130 years too far forward in history.

Ya i was totally thinking that too. Downtown looks so plain and boring because of the whole grid system, they should curve a few roads so it looks like ur surrounded around buildings in all directions. I feel like the city hall planners need to be removed and a younger crowd needs to be brought in. Im not sure how long they've been in position but I have a feeling since Nenshi first got elected. There's absolutely no uniqueness in the downtown just a straight-line of buildings. Im not going to be too happy if they use a grid system of streets in the Victoria park master plan. One of the things that makes central/downtown living unique and attractive in cities like Paris, London, Boston... is because of their narrow and jungled wavy streets. I know this won't happen but if in a 100 years people became more open to redevelopment, I hope they take a chunk out of the lower/upper Mount Royal neighbourhood and expand the beltline so it includes a hilly/curvy area.

Im not a huge fan the grid either, I am also not a fan of all the roads being numbered (1 Ave, 2Ave, 3Ave etc.) I really the city would go back to some of the original names like Atlantic Ave (9Ave), Broadway (4 St I believe) or even Notre Dame Road (17th Ave), I feel it would give the core some more character.

I would love to see some of those street names come back. I've always hoped that someday 9th in Inglewood would revert back to Atlantic, same for Notre Dame (17th) and Scarth Street (1st street SW) Broadway (4th st sw) Also having the French names back in Mission would be nice.

I think the Calgary "look" these days is somewhere between west coast style and the prairie/midwest style you see in places like Chicago. But as you said, still a work in progress. We did have the somewhat unique sandstone aesthetic back in the early years of the city, although Im not the biggest fan of it myself in contemporary settings.

Personally, I really like the Scandinavian feeling aesthetic you see in some of the recent projects in East Village, and think it could be an inspirational springboard for something more distinct (Scandinavian Prairie!) as generally their design standards are very high, and more appropriate for our climate than Vancouver.

It does have a bit of Chicago look to it, minus some of Chicago's older buildings. Definitely a varied look of blue gray glass and beige-brown colors..

You're suggesting citizens have their taxes used to buy extremely expensive and mostly developed private land to create new narrow jungled streets?

It's Nenshi's fault that the road layout is the way it is? You're about 130 years too far forward in history.
Thats not what im saying at all, I'm saying there are many areas of land that have yet to be developed on in the core, particularly the East village was a good example, instead they chose to continue with a grid like road system. We don't need to change current roads but we can take new empty developing areas and move away from the grid system. Nenshi is a very progressive person for the city but I really don't get the people at CMLC and city planners. They still continue to build the LRT on grade level just because its a cheaper option, when their goals are to make a more denser city. And looking from the raw Victoria park plan from CBC, Victoria park is going to be more grid like streets. Basically looks like another East village. Like if you don't have the funds right now then don't rush it, do a good job the first time so the quality lasts for generations. And to add to the problem, I feel these last 3 years Calgarians have become so anti-tax, like I get it's a downturn but if you want your city to look good then you shouldn't be complaining about taxes. Nothing come for free. There are many suburban havens to choose from if you feel taxes are being misused are too high in Calgary, like Airdrie or Okotoks. This is one of the tradeoffs you pay when choosing to live in a large city and its more confusing to me when people cause an uproar when our property taxes are some of the lowest compared to other major cities in Canada. Just my two cents on the whole development issue in Calgary.

Thats not what im saying at all, I'm saying there are many areas of land that have yet to be developed on in the core, particularly the East village was a good example, instead they chose to continue with a grid like road system. We don't need to change current roads but we can take new empty developing areas and move away from the grid system. Nenshi is a very progressive person for the city but I really don't get the people at CMLC and city planners. They still continue to build the LRT on grade level just because its a cheaper option, when their goals are to make a more denser city. And looking from the raw Victoria park plan from CBC, Victoria park is going to be more grid like streets. Basically looks like another East village. Like if you don't have the funds right now then don't rush it, do a good job the first time so the quality lasts for generations. And to add to the problem, I feel these last 3 years Calgarians have become so anti-tax, like I get it's a downturn but if you want your city to look good then you shouldn't be complaining about taxes. Nothing come for free. There are many suburban havens to choose from if you feel taxes are being misused are too high in Calgary, like Airdrie or Okotoks. This is one of the tradeoffs you pay when choosing to live in a large city and its more confusing to me when people cause an uproar when our property taxes are some of the lowest compared to other major cities in Canada. Just my two cents on the whole development issue in Calgary.
The streets in victoria park are already defined as a grid, and have been since 1891 as shown in that map. Much of the undeveloped land in Victoria park is owned by private developers, not CMLC or The City. As such, it would be extremely expensive to purchase it from these private owners/developers, to change an established road network that has been planned around for over a century.

In terms of the taxes comment, I thought one of the big (if not the biggest, depending on your stance) reasons for all of this redevelopment and intensification was the fact it led to a much more sustainable city, in that more people are using the same services, and taxes can be kept low. If that isn't happening, what is the point? That is a concern I have with CMLC, and their expanding scope beyond East Village. Yes, they have done a great job revitalizing EV, but at a very large cost. Not sure we can keep affording to do that much with each neighbourhood, especially when Victoria Park has seen/is seeing massive amounts of redevelopment without CMLC involvement. I am not sure how much quicker people expect it to be, but I feel it has been on a blistering pace already these past 10 years, and with projects like ONE's 12th ave, it doesn't appear to be slowing down.

Hi Group,
That Map is Interesting in Its Own Right, I have Seem Similar Maps in the past as such. If the City had Allowed Streets to Keep Original Names Neighbourhoods would have been totally Different Now All these Subdivisions New/Old all have Names Similar to the Areas they get Blt in No Original Names for the Areas.Two New Subdivisions going in the the South - Belmont (S E) and Yorkville in the So Called S W (More S E) Really. Have to Wonder if the City has the Smarts to Use a Whole Different Street Naming Process. I Doubt It.What Got Changed Years Ago has Never Been Reconsidered so has been Carried On Ever Since. We Can't go back to the Past but Perhaps Changing a Few Streets Might not b a bad idea Something perhaps could B considered,

Tnx.,
Operater.

Even undeveloped land is still owned, the majority by private landowners. Sure, the city does own some land here and there but the majority has been privately held for a hundred years.

Changing even a single road position comes at great cost. The road network has been set for a long time. Property lines are set. Utility rights of way are set. Storm sewer mains, sanitary sewer mains, water mains, gas mains, and power mains all run under the streets you want moved. Not to mention connections to each property for sewer, water, gas, power, cable, and telephone. Then you have hydrants, street lights, intersection signal, etc all along the existing road network. You can't just come in and play Sim City and use the demolition key.

Then you have all of the other costs associated with road changes. These things actually have costs somewhere by someone. Maps of all types, bus routes, waste & recycling routes, addressing, postal routes, street signage, etc.

There will never be the funds to do what you're thinking. Even with the land in East Victoria Park, assuming the City was able to acquire every single property first.

I have no issue with the current property tax rate and I agree it is reasonable compared to other cities.

The people that move to Airdrie and Okotoks are the problem not the solution.

Im not a huge fan the grid either, I am also not a fan of all the roads being numbered (1 Ave, 2Ave, 3Ave etc.) I really the city would go back to some of the original names like Atlantic Ave (9Ave), Broadway (4 St I believe) or even Notre Dame Road (17th Ave), I feel it would give the core some more character.

Building a city in a grid and assigning numbers to streets and avenues is the most logical way to build a city from a traffic management point of view.

I think you are correct, in that naming streets and having streets follow a curvilinear path could improve the aesthetic and character of the street. However, in my opinion, it is more important to follow good urban practices when designing a street, ie trees separating road and sidewalk, public benches, good interface with buildings and sidewalk. See picture below.

59ce5e60872e870001afc174_Indy-urban-link-500.jpg

(Picture by: Project for Public Spaces)

New York, San Francisco and Portland are cities that use a grid layout.

Back