Block 23 - Central Park | 12m | 3s | Gibbs Gage

interesting design to see the X braces on the upper floor but not continuous to the floor below

It's a structural feature, not architectural, for lateral stability against Wind/Seismic. Forces increase the higher you go, the first floor resistance is likely covered by the concreate shear walls and the one or two cross braces on the far west side. Also because its only a ~3 storey building in Calgary (not a high seismic zone) more than a couple cross braces is total overkill and only serves to increase cost, and would be a very expensive architectural feature to include for just aesthetics.

It's a structural feature, not architectural, for lateral stability against Wind/Seismic. Forces increase the higher you go, the first floor resistance is likely covered by the concreate shear walls and the one or two cross braces on the far west side. Also because its only a ~3 storey building in Calgary (not a high seismic zone) more than a couple cross braces is total overkill and only serves to increase cost, and would be a very expensive architectural feature to include for just aesthetics.
i am thinking if you don't need it on the first floor then the second don't require it either as you can still transfer that load to the shear walls as similar to L1- which is why i found it odd

FD10C602-B964-49AC-B110-A3A63649077C.jpeg
D7FFCDE8-A476-4764-9656-FA03594740F3.jpeg
1B15B202-11CC-4D37-ABD7-32253CD55C63.jpeg

i dont get why they havent gone back to work on the hotel. its still probably a year until completion. a substantial portion of stays there have to be related to the childrens hospital which is a pretty insulated base. are they not under an obligation to complete it by a certain date?

^ I freaking hope not.

On a lighter note, the Block 23 development is really turning out like the renders. It's going to be an awesome neighbourhood amenity. I really hope the public park space turns out just as fabulously.

I have to say, I’m kind of disappointed in the design. That first picture reminds me of a suburban medical clinic/professional centre.
Thankfully the function far outweighs the form.

I have to say, I’m kind of disappointed in the design. That first picture reminds me of a suburban medical clinic/professional centre.
Thankfully the function far outweighs the form.
So much will depend on how it meets the sidewalk. That's what will make the difference between suburban professional centre or urban main street.

Back