Block 23 - Central Park | 12m | 3s | Gibbs Gage

Once this neighbourhood is complete, and if all of those developments along 24 Ave in Banff Trail get built, U of C will go from being a depressingly isolated suburban campus to having multiple destination neighbourhoods within walking distance. The developments around Brentwood station would add a third neighbourhood - although getting there currently involves walking either along a street with no sidewalk (Brentwood Road) or through the middle of the sprawling parking lot for the Brentwood shopping centre. Maybe U of C could finally become more of a college-town/latin quarter type campus instead of a commuter campus.

Once this neighbourhood is complete, and if all of those developments along 24 Ave in Banff Trail get built, U of C will go from being a depressingly isolated suburban campus to having multiple destination neighbourhoods within walking distance. The developments around Brentwood station would add a third neighbourhood - although getting there currently involves walking either along a street with no sidewalk (Brentwood Road) or through the middle of the sprawling parking lot for the Brentwood shopping centre. Maybe U of C could finally become more of a college-town/latin quarter type campus instead of a commuter campus.

Well I am impressed by the University District - I don't suspect it will do much to shed the commuter campus vibe. Consider 'who' the district is being built for - the residential development is targeted more at hospital staff, staff and faculty at UCalgary, and existing residents of the NW looking to downsize or a more 'urban' neighbourhood. I don't see much in how the residential projects are being marketed to suggest that this is intended to house the UCalgary student population - most wouldn't be able to afford to live here. There is still lots of development to come - so perhaps future development might focus more on intergrating a student population.

Well I am impressed by the University District - I don't suspect it will do much to shed the commuter campus vibe. Consider 'who' the district is being built for - the residential development is targeted more at hospital staff, staff and faculty at UCalgary, and existing residents of the NW looking to downsize or a more 'urban' neighbourhood. I don't see much in how the residential projects are being marketed to suggest that this is intended to house the UCalgary student population - most wouldn't be able to afford to live here. There is still lots of development to come - so perhaps future development might focus more on intergrating a student population.
I suspect most people living in U/D will be hospital and University Staff like you said, but many of the patrons to the businesses along University Ave will be students. Maybe one of the restaurants going into Block 23 will be the new Moose Maguire's.

I don't know the UofC's plans for the student housing to the east of U/D, but it would be a great place for new higher density student housing. If the UofC can pull of a new corridor from Campus to Brentwood, and somehow streamline the connection to 24th ave, it'll really change the feel of the campus.

I dunno. I wonder how many of the people buying up units in the multiunit buildings have the idea of running them as rental properties? It really depends on how strictly regulated they are, I guess.

I dunno. I wonder how many of the people buying up units in the multiunit buildings have the idea of running them as rental properties? It really depends on how strictly regulated they are, I guess.
Rhapsody has smaller units and is all rental /I'm guessing students may be part of the targeted demographic.

IMG_6810.JPG
IMG_6811.JPG
IMG_6812.JPG

Rhapsody has smaller units and is all rental /I'm guessing students may be part of the targeted demographic.
Perhaps different types of students. Law+Medicine adds up to around a thousand students, plus maybe 800 medical residents. These students have access to massive financial resources and an urban neighbourhood that is walkable to their primary work/study space is valuable.

Back