News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

My opinion of E-scooters is there will be a niche market for them so long as the cost doesn't change. Today I met some friends for lunch over at 17th ave. A couple of the guys work downtown and they buzzed over with scooters. It took them a whole 5 minutes, whereas in the past it used to take them 15-20 to walk over. I can see scooters replacing pedestrian mode as a tool of convenience to get around the inner city quickly, I can also see a market for using them just for fun, especially tourist who want to get out and see the city.

Hopefully they can combine this with completing the cycle track northward to the Bow River Path... Drives me mad every time I use 5 ST that the last 2 blocks weren't completed there.
I use those 2 blocks everyday and always wonder how that discussion went to not include those. At least those are quiet blocks but still...

Work is starting on the 12ave cycle track extension (11st to 16st I believe). Also bike lanes will be on 4st downtown

I use those 2 blocks everyday and always wonder how that discussion went to not include those. At least those are quiet blocks but still...
Some context on why these blocks weren't included in the 5 St. cycle track. Hopefully the city can still install something temporary until those parking lots get developed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">That one is made more complicated because the City sold the street between Eau Claire and 2 Av to the developer redeveloping the parking lots on either side. That development is obviously delayed due to market conditions.</p>&mdash; ᴅᴀʟᴇ ᴄᴀʟᴋɪɴs (@DaleCalkins) <a href=" ">August 8, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They could keep the cycle track running up one more block north before it gets to that property, then just let the yycbike community put in a ninja bike lane there. ;)

The city sold a freakin' street?!? That really encapsulates the shortsighted, penny pitching, boom town mentality that still governs this city. So frustrating.
Yeah, at the time GWL was looking to build a multi building development that spanned the blocks on both sides of 5th. the plan was to have 5th continue on through, but it would have been on private land. I suppose the city could make the developer incorporate a section of bike lane as part of approving the development. Since the development isn't going ahead any time soon, maybe the city can put in the cycle track for now, and make sure it gets to stay if the land gets developed.

The section of 5th St SW in question is between, Eau Claire Ave & 2nd Ave. It is really where 5 St starts and runs south. Opposite 5 St looking north of Eau Claire Ave is a laneway which runs in between the two existing condo developments. Since the GWL development is going to be open to vehicular & pedestrian traffic in and out of the complex, it would make sense to have the bike lane start there.

p.s speaking of the project, I don't know what GWL is waiting for. It was planned for purpose rental. While they sit and wait, there are thousands of purpose rental units either built already or under construction in the core.

Last edited:
It's too bad they didn't plan the cycle track out earlier they could have made the 7th ave jog less clunky. I know it's right in the middle of celebration square, but most of the time that square is empty.

Image13.jpg

Back