August at University District | ?m | 6s | Avi Urban

CDC37DA8-FE25-430F-AC0B-85D161A311E5.jpeg
CB87F754-A415-4C96-8B01-7AC387497A30.jpeg
03CAF716-52CC-4D3D-8F66-23ECB18910D4.jpeg

Is that the Gramercy one?

Edit: nvm that one is Gracorp.

Strangely, the condo projects in the University District have not been selling that well. August and Brookfield have many units to sell and Truman has a few as well. Although, I did hear that Truman may be moving ahead anyway with their next build here.
Well.... the province's cuts of $90M to U of C have resulted in some 500 job losses at U of C in recent years, not to mention the health care cuts and wage rollback threats.

I would guess that the University District's market is very over-weighted in the types of buyers who work at the hospital or U of C. For those that weren't impacted yet, possible wage roll-backs and future cuts would certainly depress interest in putting a down-payment on a new unit. Cuts and position elimination often hits the entry-level stuff the hardest - exactly the type of buyer who is often on the younger side and looking to move nearby their work.

So this is one Calgary submarket where I think there is very little surprise why it might not be doing as well.

Wow I didn’t realize UD is leasehold. I’d expect things to pickup as the new cancer centre comes online.

They're not selling too well because who wants to buy leasehold, especially in Calgary - even if it's a 100 year lease.
Does anyone know what happens at the time of lease renewal if the lease is renewed? Is this a bullet payment for the new owner or an ongoing lease payment? I didn't see a good answer from the University District.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 082833.png

Back