Member Bio
Reaction score
CDC37DA8-FE25-430F-AC0B-85D161A311E5.jpeg
CB87F754-A415-4C96-8B01-7AC387497A30.jpeg
03CAF716-52CC-4D3D-8F66-23ECB18910D4.jpeg

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
Strangely, the condo projects in the University District have not been selling that well. August and Brookfield have many units to sell and Truman has a few as well. Although, I did hear that Truman may be moving ahead anyway with their next build here.

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is that the Gramercy one?

Edit: nvm that one is Gracorp.

CBBarnett

Member Bio
Reaction score
Strangely, the condo projects in the University District have not been selling that well. August and Brookfield have many units to sell and Truman has a few as well. Although, I did hear that Truman may be moving ahead anyway with their next build here.
Well.... the province's cuts of $90M to U of C have resulted in some 500 job losses at U of C in recent years, not to mention the health care cuts and wage rollback threats.

I would guess that the University District's market is very over-weighted in the types of buyers who work at the hospital or U of C. For those that weren't impacted yet, possible wage roll-backs and future cuts would certainly depress interest in putting a down-payment on a new unit. Cuts and position elimination often hits the entry-level stuff the hardest - exactly the type of buyer who is often on the younger side and looking to move nearby their work.

So this is one Calgary submarket where I think there is very little surprise why it might not be doing as well.

Ubran Outdoorsman

Member Bio
Reaction score
What's Truman's next build?

ThujaPlicata

Member Bio
Reaction score
They're not selling too well because who wants to buy leasehold, especially in Calgary - even if it's a 100 year lease.

Last edited:

artvandelay

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wow I didn’t realize UD is leasehold. I’d expect things to pickup as the new cancer centre comes online.