August at University District | ?m | 6s | Avi Urban

That neighbourhood has a lot of potential. Hopefully the young people who live there are able to overcome the crippling loneliness that comes with isolation.

That was a joke.

Seriously though, I hope we can find a way to iron out some of the bike paths and bus routes through the west campus. It should feel closer to Market Mall, Montgomery, and Bowness than it does. On Google maps you can already see the well-worn foot paths to jaywalk across Shagannappi Trail. Might as well make a legit and well-marked crossing. And obviously West Campus Dr should continue to Market Mall - at least for pedestrians and cyclists.

Last edited:
Seriously though, I hope we can find a way to iron out some of the bike paths and bus routes through the west campus. It should feel closer to Market Mall, Montgomery, and Bowness than it does. On Google maps you can already see the well-worn foot paths to jaywalk across Shagannappi Trail. Might as well make a legoland well-marked crossing. And obviously West Campus Dr should continue to Market Mall - at least for pedestrians and cyclists.

I have similar concerns. This neighborhood is surrounded on three sides by expressways. No matter how much rhetoric we hear about walkability, planners seem unwilling to let anything challenge the dominance of the car. A clear example is the number of pork chop islands they've inserted into the road network. They are basically saying: we'd rather kill a few pedestrians than force drivers to actually slow down while taking right hand turns. I swear, the city should move it's transportation department to the SW corner of 32 Ave and Shaganappi Trail, and put their parking lot on the NE corner, so every member of the department will be forced to cross that horrible intersection at least twice a day. Then we'll see how quickly they get a clue.

I swear, the city should move it's transportation department to the SW corner of 32 Ave and Shaganappi Trail, and put their parking lot on the NE corner, so every member of the department will be forced to cross that horrible intersection at least twice a day. Then we'll see how quickly they get a clue.

I actually think in order to get your driver's license you should have to bike in traffic so you know what it's like to be a cyclist.

Everyone at the city should have to bike or take transit some of the time.

I have similar concerns. This neighborhood is surrounded on three sides by expressways. No matter how much rhetoric we hear about walkability, planners seem unwilling to let anything challenge the dominance of the car. A clear example is the number of pork chop islands they've inserted into the road network. They are basically saying: we'd rather kill a few pedestrians than force drivers to actually slow down while taking right hand turns. I swear, the city should move it's transportation department to the SW corner of 32 Ave and Shaganappi Trail, and put their parking lot on the NE corner, so every member of the department will be forced to cross that horrible intersection at least twice a day. Then we'll see how quickly they get a clue.
Love it. Or don't give them a parking lot at all. For all the talk (and several notable examples of modern transportation practices being implemented), the institutional momentum of old-school car-capacity and speed only planners/engineers/technicians appears unfortunately alive and well in this city. They haven't demonstrated an ability to reliably consider minor stuff like bicycles as transportation, or reduce lane-widths, let alone reimagining the whole definition of what an arterial road is or could be (like Shaganappi Trail).

Can you imagine a day where we might place a building facing directly onto one of our over-built, car-only arterials such as at 32nd and Shaganappi? Heads would explode. We still have about 8 hectares of land set aside or set-backed at that intersection as if we are going to build a full interchange one day.

this one is under construction, but not sure why it hasn't been updated with Rhapsody. I'm pretty sure excavation is finished.

looks great if they can pull it off. fingers crossed the whole neighbourhood gets built out in one go. would be a shame if theres vacant lots breaking up the fabric.

I wonder if the hotel I’d going too? Both are part of the same development. It would be nice to get both, but even just the one, is still great. I’d like to see more low rise buildings like this.

I meant to post these and forgot. A week ago.

IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1640.JPG

haha I just realized that this project and the Alt Hotel are the same project, they're considered a mixed-use block and they share a parkade. So apparently we've had a 15 story tower under construction for a while and didn't even realize it :D Makes sense since the whole south half of the block is being excavated.

My source is here: https://myuniversitydistrict.ca/wp-...y-hotel-announced-for-University-District.pdf

Back