News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary & Alberta Economy

I've had stocks in another Calgary medical research company for 16 years or so. Waiting and waiting and waiting for a deal like this to come through lol. The only deal I've gotten so far was a 9-1 reverse split of the shares and then the predictable drop in share price back to almost as low as it was when I had almost 17000 shares. Nice to hear about this but just wish my day would come too! Oncolytics Biotech is the company I have shares in.
https://www.oncolyticsbiotech.com/

Apparently the carbon tax will be shut down as early as May 30th. Question is, how long will it take for the Feds to implement theirs, and what will be the end result? According to the article, the feds carbon tax will be slightly cheaper, but the money just into general revenue correct? or does it come back to the province?
Slightly lower this year, the same next year. The money is mostly returned to individuals by rebate cheque, and each province has a different amount calculated, so Alberta revenue isn’t transferred to other provinces. The province could opt to receive the full amount to spend as they saw fit as well.

The feds in theory could start the next day if the province passes the legislation in time since the imposition of the tax only needs an order in council. I bet it is a month or two though.

The province’s scheduled end date is pretty ambitious since they need to pass legislation. 50/50 whether they get it done in time.

Scheer announces a plan for a national energy corridor. Something our current PM should have done already, had he any care for the energy industry in Canada.
Surprisingly, the Elizabeth May just announced support for eliminating oil imports in favour of our own oilsands. Is it possible the Greens and the P.C's are aligning???? Nooooooooooo...

I don't really understand the national energy corridor concept. It isn't like the feds could designate land where all the rules around consultation and environmental assessments don't apply. The establishment of a corridor itself would be subject to so many lawsuits. It is something that sounds like a good idea until you actually think about it, sorta like Energy East. By chance, this idea was proposed by the Wildrose way back when, and now a few former Wildrose staffers are working for Scheer, and this concept pops up again.

Also, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there is no reason to do an Energy East 2.0. It would be an expensive, inefficient, wasteful project that would make Alberta poorer. The entire project doesn't exist as anything other than a point of rhetoric at this point. Also: it would be even more expensive than the massively over projections before a shovel was in the ground Energy East 1.0 was turning into, because there is no longer an underused natural gas line to convert.

As for the greens, I don't think they really understand what it means when they propose what they do. In any case for Alberta, the most natural result of a domestic oil only policy would be Canada consuming expensive Newfoundland offshore Brent which is currently being exported, replacing cheaper American imports, while maybe increasing synthetic sweet by rail east bound.

The Greens want Canada's GHG emissions to drop by 60% by 2030. That doesn't jive with anything like an Energy East 2.0, building new refineries, or expanding at all.

I have to laugh at the news reports that Alberta may be heading into a mild recession. To most Calgarians, I am sure it feels like we have been in recession since 2015. ?

Yeah, the gap between our potential performance and our actual performance is pretty big now. Even worse the recovery isn't on the same trajectory. Damn positive supply shocks. The graph below is economic sophistry at best, but it does show a huge gap between where we are (green) and where we would be without the shock (purple). Interestingly, the 2010-14 boom wasn't enough to get us back to our pre-2008 crash trend (orange) proably until the middle of the 2020s — probably why the economy never felt as tight as it did in the 2000s job wise.

There is growing agreement within energy circles that this was premeditated. Vivian Krause is getting a lot of appreciation and respect for her investigative work. Some of her investigation has led back to our own federal government for either supporting/condoning foreign special interest groups who have targeted our oil sands. Is there another country in the Western world who would allow this to happen to such a vital segment of their economy? As much as I despise Donald Trump, I do applaud what he doing for the energy/resource sector in the U.S.. Energy expansion is not facing anywhere near the opposition in that country as it is here.
If next week, we hear the Liberals are kicking TMX down the road another year, then all of Canada needs to stand up and pay attention. ?

Can anyone point to a Canadian project that was blocked by environmentalists?
Environmentalists, other special interest groups and foreign funding of both; is the most significant reason why pipelines and other energy projects have been mired in excessive bureaucracy. They take forever to get approved, if they ever do. Our current federal government won't give them 'full-throated' support in the face of this opposition, and our courts are forced to listen to them.
Northern Gateway is a prime example of this collaboration.

Last edited:

Back